What Hillary Imagines

Author Topic: What Hillary Imagines  (Read 1266 times)

Offline asitrony

• View Profile
What Hillary Imagines
« on: June 08, 2016, 03:38:57 PM »
Hillary Clinton. First woman presidential nominee.

Okay, of a major political party. We’re not going into the minor-party exceptions since that would require a lengthy discussion of Victoria Woodhull in 1872. Under normal circumstances, Woodhull would certainly be worth talking about, given the faith healing and the brokerage firm and the obscenity trial. But this is Hillary’s moment.

“It’s really emotional,” she said in a speech this week. Clinton brings up the first-woman thing a lot, and the idea of showing little girls that they can be “anything you want to be. Even President of the United States.” For many young women, that’s actually old news, since Hillary the potential president has been around most of their lives. Back when she was first elected to the Senate in 2000, the coverage was so omnipresent that my niece Anna, who was around 3, asked my sister whether it was possible for a man to be a senator.

The people who get most excited are the ones who remember how things used to be, back when girls couldn’t envision being in the Little League, let alone the White House. And can you imagine going back in history and sharing Clinton’s news with the suffragists? This is one of my favorite mind games – pretend you’re returning to 1872 and telling the story to Susan B. Anthony while she was being handcuffed for the crime of voting while female.

Or there’s the other route of telling some historical figure who would faint with horror. Like Thomas Jefferson – wouldn’t you want to see his face? We all know how good Jefferson was on freedom of speech, but he was possibly the worst sexist in the very competitive group known as the Founding Fathers. (“Our good ladies, I trust, have been too wise to wrinkle their foreheads with politics. They are contented to soothe and calm the minds of their husbands returning ruffled from political debate.”)

But Clinton wouldn’t want this to be a moment for rancor. So I asked for her own pick.

And her answer was: if she could go into the past to tell someone that she’d been nominated for President of the United States, it would be her mother.

Thanks
Asit Ghosh
Assistant Professor, TE

Offline Tahsina

• Test
    • View Profile
Re: What Hillary Imagines
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 11:11:06 AM »
Thanks for the post which is from a feminist point of view. But I think you are aware that many people oppose her for certain political issues, for example - her position on Iraq and her insistence that the U.S. maintain a military presence there even after the troops are withdrawn. She was controversial in Benghazi issue.
Tahsina Yasmin
Associate Professor
Department of English, DIU

Offline Ratul.JMC

• View Profile
Re: What Hillary Imagines
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 10:06:51 PM »
Thank you very much for your post. :)
Md. Rashedul Islam Ratul
Lecturer, JMC
Daffodil International University