Re: Code switching in EFL/ESL class lesson

Author Topic: Re: Code switching in EFL/ESL class lesson  (Read 4310 times)

Offline shamshoque

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 04:36:56 PM »
Provoke, protest, propose and practice.

Offline shamshoque

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 11:48:46 PM »
Colleagues, My esteemed colleagues!
Please don't feel shy or embarrassed in speaking your mind. In fact, that's the way forward. We need to think loud and think jointly to improve the precarious situation of ELT that is crippling the future of our country. We need to be in to win over it.
Having been in teaching for about four and half decade and in quite few countries now, I can tell you very bravely that there is no rights or wrongs in teaching your way. Every teacher is a style or model him/herself. Each teacher unique in the way they teach. There is nothing wrong in different styles of teaching. What matters is: the effective learning of the students. If we can ensure that with the help of code switching here and there, why not?
My problem is: The government, the policy makers, even the UGC, are making so many rules for medium of instructions, specially, with the introduction of the CLT (Communicative Language Teaching) approach right from the primary to the tertiary levels, without any preparation for the teachers and so, the CLT has already proven to be a failure in its entirety.
Now, I feel, we have a duty to salvage the deplorable situation of CLT. I think with this post we have started the ball rolling. I urge all colleagues: Let's join in and bring the game to an end. Thank you.
Shams Hoque
Associate Professor in English
DIU