HAIKU

Author Topic: HAIKU  (Read 16185 times)

Offline shipra

• View Profile
Re: HAIKU
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 12:48:57 PM »
Dear UK Miss,

Is the haiku by you?It's nice.Carry on.We are feeling encouraged by the seniors.

Shipra

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 10:34:56 AM »

The word 'haiku' is both singular and plural, so it is generally considered incorrect to say 'haikus'. Also, because the term is not a proper noun, the term should not be capitalized within a sentence. Haiku also do not rhyme and should not be titled (although there is a tradition in Japanese haiku that they occasionally have 'head-notes' that identify the place or circumstances of composition, but this should not be confused with a title).

Some Tips for Haiku Writers(From Wikipedia):

•   To get inspiration and begin to understand the subtle emotions within images from nature, read the works of famous Classic haiku poets, such as Basho, Buson, Issa, or Shiki, but do try to read more modern or contemporary Japanese haiku writers to avoid writing in a pseudo Classic fashion.

•   Write what you see, not what you feel. In the end, haiku are about emotions expressed through concrete images. When reading haiku, don't read them like you would other poems. Haiku are written to capture a feeling and image. Keep an open mind when reading haiku and try to feel what the writer was trying to get across. The more you read haiku, the easier they are to understand. Haiku has been called an "unfinished" poem because each one requires the reader to finish it in his or her heart.

•   Remember that Japanese was originally a pictographic language. When it is written, it uses mostly picture characters to represent ideas visually instead of letters such as those in the English alphabet. Because there is so much difference between the Japanese language and our language, haiku in English will have some differences.

•   There are some who say that haiku can just be a short fragment (no more than three words) followed by a phrase. The following is an example of such a structure, which is often very effective, but this example fails to have the necessary seasonal reference or to create an intuitive spark or leap of understanding in the relationship between the two parts.

early evening
small flat stones
line the shore

•   The haiku doesn't have to be serious. It can be funny, although traditionalists might call it a 'senryu' rather than a 'haiku.' Please note that the following is not an example of senryu, but merely a three-line poem that attempts to be funny (this is the sort of poem that both haiku and senryu writers consider to be what has been called a 'pseudo-haiku' or 'pseudo-senryu'):

I like Cottage Cheese
Cottage Cheese is my favorite
Yummy Cottage Cheese

•   Or:

I Like this nice girl
She is in my English class
she doesn't like me

•   To more clearly understand the relationship and difference between literary haiku and pseudo-haiku, please read John J. Dunphy's 'What is a haiku - and what isn’t?' article: http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/books-and-literature/book-blog/article_75c58829-afdf-5d19-8633-120a11378973.html

•   It is worthwhile to read both classic and contemporary Japanese haiku poets in translation otherwise you will get a skewed perspective of what constitutes a 'Japanese haiku'.

•   To get a good understanding of English-language haiku, the two most important books to read are William J. Higginson's 'Haiku Handbook' (Kodansha, 1989) and Cor van den Heuvel's 'The Haiku Anthology' (Norton, 1999, third edition).

•   For serious students of haiku, it is worthwhile to join organizations such as the Haiku Society of America, Haiku Canada, or the British Haiku Society (there are many other similar organizations elsewhere in the world). It is also worthwhile to subscribe to leading haiku journals such as Modern Haiku and Frogpond (which comes with Haiku Society of America membership).

•   Here's a good place to search for online haiku links: http://www.dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Poetry/Forms/Haiku_and_Related_Forms/

•   With Words gives an easy overview of haiku and its history in the West: http://www.withwords.org.uk

•   For a basic overview of haiku strategies, read Michael Dylan Welch's 'Becoming a Haiku Poet': http://sites.google.com/site/graceguts/essays/becoming-a-haiku-poet

Offline Nahid Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
A new Haiku:

We and Rain
In a rickshaw on the plain
Time to love again..

Offline shipra

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 12:18:15 PM »
Congratulations,Madam!We have got another haiku writer.Our creativity is increasing.We are feeling inspired.

Offline nusrat-diu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 07:46:38 PM »
Like your haiku Nahid Miss!!

@ Shamsi...your's first one was superb!!
Nusrat Jahan
Assistant Professor
Department of English
Daffodil International University

Offline Nahid Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 04:31:16 PM »
Thank you Nusrat madam. At first, I was inspired by your one.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 11:02:25 AM »
Some haiku from 'The Haiku Anthology' edited by Cor Van Den Heuvel:

morning bird song—
my paddle slips
into its reflection

low summer sun—
the shadow of an earring
on your cheek

after the quake
adding I love you
to a letter

first day of summer
a postman delivers mail
in a safari hat

grocery shopping—
pushing my cart faster
through feminine protection

These are written by different writers.I hope you will enjoy.

Bests

Shamsi

Offline Nahid Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 04:30:46 PM »
These Haikus are really a pleasure Shamsi Madam.

Offline irina

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 03:49:15 PM »
Oh! I'm charmed finding me in a charming world of haiku.
Thank u Shamsi.

Offline Nahid Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 12:51:18 PM »
Irina Madam,
you will be glad to know that we are planning a wall magazine on only Haiku in near future.
This time, we, the teachers will also contribute.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 04:15:02 PM »
Thank you Irina madam for your appreciation.There are two more haiku for you that I wrote yesterday:

summer afternoon
someone was waiting for me
but I didn't go

he is with his bride
after waiting five long years
still my heart is aching

I hope you will enjoy.

I wish you all the best.

Shamsi

Offline Nahid Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 11:34:18 AM »
wow, Shamsi madam ! I love these Haiku as their topic is love.

Offline shipra

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 11:42:32 AM »
I agree with Nahid Madam.It will be very useful for developing their creativity.

Offline Nahid Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 11:57:40 AM »
And it is also a fun!

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 11:58:27 AM »
Some haiku by Alan Pizzareli:

twilight
staples rust
in the telephone pole

light rain
on the young tree
a strip of burlap ... flaps

bending back
... along the railroad track
... ... tiger lilies

at short stop
between innings
sparrows dust-bathing

in the supermarket
the spinster smiles
at the cucumbers

starry night
the jeweler closes
the folding gate

the amusement park
spinning cotton candy
the girl with the teased-up hair

above the arcade
a yellow moon flashes
through drifting clouds

tonite
nothing to write
but this

There are 9 haiku by Alan Pizzarelli.I hope you will like these.

Regards

Shamsi