Australian navy submarine AE1 found after being lost since World War I

Author Topic: Australian navy submarine AE1 found after being lost since World War I  (Read 707 times)

Offline SSH Shamma

• View Profile
One of World War I's biggest mysteries has finally been solved after a 103-year search.

On Sep. 14, 1914, Australia's first submarine, the HMAS AE1, disappeared off the coast of Rabaul, Papua New Guinea.

It followed a successful mission to help capture what was then known as German New Guinea, and was the first loss for what was a young Royal Australian Navy.

35 crew members went missing without a trace.

Mobile logo 2d675f03bcc8a93a7d09335159bda85a2cfee1e67a8649cd4a0bc639803afedc Share  Tweet
Australian navy submarine AE1 found after being lost since World War I
Share  Tweet 
 The HMAS AE1 has been discovered after more than a dozen expeditions.
The HMAS AE1 has been discovered after more than a dozen expeditions.
IMAGE: DEPARTMENT OF DEFENCE
BY JOHNNY LIEU
4 DAYS AGO
One of World War I's biggest mysteries has finally been solved after a 103-year search.

On Sep. 14, 1914, Australia's first submarine, the HMAS AE1, disappeared off the coast of Rabaul, Papua New Guinea.

SEE ALSO: Discovery of World War II shipwreck ends a 74-year mystery

00:0000:00

It followed a successful mission to help capture what was then known as German New Guinea, and was the first loss for what was a young Royal Australian Navy.

35 crew members went missing without a trace.

The AE1.

The AE1.

IMAGE: DEPARTMENT OF DEFENCE

That's until an expedition this week, the 13th search for the submarine, which located the AE1 on Wednesday off the coast of the Duke of York Island group, in east Papua New Guinea.

The search vessel, Fugro Equator, found an object of interest in waters 300 metres (328 yards) deep, which was later confirmed to be the AE1. The cause of why the AE1 sank is yet to be determined.
Syeda Sumbul Hossain
Lecturer, SWE
Daffodil International University
Contact No. 01918455555

Offline munira.ete

• Test
    • View Profile
Re: Australian navy submarine AE1 found after being lost since World War I
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 12:44:59 PM »
Thanks.