English idioms of the face

Author Topic: English idioms of the face  (Read 3236 times)

Offline lima_diu

• View Profile
English idioms of the face
« on: September 29, 2011, 01:35:39 PM »

English idioms that use parts of the face.

Face

face-to-face = in person: "We need to arrange a face-to-face meeting."

face the music
= take responsibility for a difficult situation: "We've got to face the music – this company is going under."

face up to responsibilities
= accept responsibilities: "You need to face up to your responsibilities – it's time you got a job and started to save money."

be two-faced
= be hypocritical: "I can't believe she told you that she likes Harry – she told me she hates him! She's so two-faced!"

Ears

be all ears = listen attentively: "So, you've got an idea. I'm all ears."

have an ear for = be good at music: "He's doing well in his piano lessons – he's definitely got an ear for music."

keep your ears to the ground
= listen out for something: "I'll keep my ears to the ground – the next time I hear someone wants to rent out a flat, I'll let you know."

up to your ears in something
= be extremely busy: "I'm sorry I can't come out this weekend – I'm up to my ears in work."

Eyes

keep your eyes peeled = watch extremely attentively: "Keep your eyes peeled for him – he's in the crowd somewhere."

keep an eye out for = watch for someone or something: "Keep an eye out for the next turning on the left."

eye up = look at someone because you think they look nice: "Whenever she goes to a club, she always gets eyed up by older men."

have your eye on something / someone = want someone or something: "I've got my eye on a new computer."

have eyes in the back of your head = warn someone that you can see exactly what they are doing: "Don't make those signs at me – I've got eyes in the back of my head!"

see eye to eye on something = agree with someone: "Those two don't always see eye to eye – they often argue."

Other parts of the face

stick your nose in = get involved in something or someone else's business: "I wish she wouldn't stick her nose in like that – I really don't want anyone else's help."

on the tip of my tongue
= when you've forgotten the word you want to say: "What's the word for it – it's on the tip of my tongue…"

tongue-tied
= when you can't say anything because you feel shy: "She's tongue-tied when she has to speak in public."

by the skin of my teeth = just manage to do something: "He got out of the burning building by the skin of his teeth."

cut your teeth on something = where you learn to do something: "He's the best man to run the company – he cut his teeth in the Production Department and ran it successfully for years."

teething problems = start-up problems with a new project: "We're having teething problems with our distribution systems."

have a cheek = be disrespectful: "He's got a cheek saying you never help him – I saw you writing his report for him!"

a frog in my throat = when your throat tickles and makes you cough: "Sorry I can't stop coughing – I've got a frog in my throat."

stick your neck out = do or say something that might have negative results: "I'm going to stick my neck out and say what I think."

be up to your neck in = be in a difficult situation: "He's up to his neck in debt."
breathe down someone's neck = check constantly what someone else is doing: "I can't write this letter with you breathing down my neck!"
Lima Khan
Sr. Coordination Officer
Daffodil International University

Offline sethy

• View Profile
Re: English idioms of the face
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 12:19:36 PM »
A good job. It is very useful for us. Keep it up......
Sazia Afrin Sethy
ID:101-11-1366
BBA Department,
Batch: 25th,
Sec: B.

Offline lima_diu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 09:10:36 AM »
thank you Sethy for inspiration. 
Lima Khan
Sr. Coordination Officer

Offline lima_diu

• View Profile
Re: Talking idioms
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 10:10:12 AM »
These idioms will help you describe talking and communication.

Talk

talk nineteen to the dozen = talk fast: "She was so excited that she was talking nineteen to the dozen."

talk the hind legs off a donkey = talk without stopping: "She can talk the hind legs off a donkey!"

talk something through / over = to discuss something: "Before we decide anything, I think we ought to talk it through."

talk something up = to make something appear more important: "She really talked the idea up, but I don't think that everyone was convinced."

talk someone into doing = to persuade someone: "He talked her into buying a new car."

talk someone through something = give step-by-step instructions: "She talked him through the procedure."

talk down to = talk in a condescending way: "Don't talk down to me! I understand you perfectly well."

talk back = respond to someone in authority in a rude way: "Don't talk back to your mother!"
This is similar to back chat: "I don't want any back chat from you!"
talk under your breath = talk quietly so that nobody can hear you: "They talked under their breath in the meeting."

talk rubbish = not to speak logically: "He talks complete rubbish sometimes!"
Also talk through your arse (British slang and quite rude): "You're talking through your arse again. You know nothing about it!"

talk at cross purposes
= when two people don't understand each other because they are talking about two different things (but don't realise it): "We're talking at cross purposes here."

talk around the subject = not get to the point: "He didn't want to say they were in danger of losing their jobs, so he talked around the subject for half an hour."

talk highly of someone = praise someone: "He talks very highly of you!"

to give someone a talking-to = when you talk to someone because you are angry with them: "His boss gave him a real talking-to yesterday!"

talk to yourself
= to speak to yourself, maybe because you are concentrating on something: "Are you talking to yourself again?"

straight talking
= honest words: "I want some straight talking around here!"

talk shop
= talk about work in a social situation: "Whenever I go out with my colleagues, we always end up talking shop."
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 10:13:26 AM by lima_diu »
Lima Khan
Sr. Coordination Officer

Offline lima_diu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 09:33:44 AM »

Chat

to chat someone up = to talk to someone because you are attracted to them: "He went to a party and chatted up every woman."

a chatterbox = someone who talks a lot, but not saying anything important: "She's a bit of a chatterbox at work."

chit-chat
= social conversation about unimportant subjects: "Enough of the chit-chat! I have to get on with some work."

Word

to have a word with someone = to talk to someone about something you are not happy with: "I'm going to have a word with him about his kids' behaviour."

a word in your ear = something you say before you give some advice or a warning: "A word in your ear – the company are monitoring internet use."

to not mince your words = say something directly, without trying to be diplomatic: "She doesn't mince her words!"

to have words
= to have an argument: "They've had words and now they're not speaking."

to get a word in edgeways = to try to contribute to a conversation: "They were talking so fast it was impossible to get a word in edgeways!"
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:36:57 AM by lima_diu »
Lima Khan
Sr. Coordination Officer

Offline farzanamili

• Word has power, use it wisely!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 02:35:32 PM »
Good posting,need time to learn these.
Mirza Farzana Iqbal Chowdhury
Senior Lecturer
Department of Law
Daffodil International University.

Offline nusrat-diu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 06:34:42 PM »
Lima miss...good to know the words again in the way u r showing. It'll help people to keep the words in mind for a long time. Thanks for the posting!
Nusrat Jahan
Assistant Professor
Department of English

Offline lima_diu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 12:57:46 PM »
Thank you Farzana & Nusrat madam & yes it’s a little bit tough to keep in mind.
Lima Khan
Sr. Coordination Officer