4] Presentation can be defined as a formal event characterized by teamwork and use of audio-visual aids. The main purpose of presentation is to give information, to persuade the audience to act and to create goodwill. A good presentation should have a good subject matter, should match with the objective, should best fit the audience, and should be well organized.
If you are to communicate an idea, concept, or a product, you need to have good presentation skills in order to grab the attention of the audience and become the centre of attention.
This way, it is easy for you to get the audience's support. The audience can range from your college classmates to an executive board of a multinational company.
Following are some points you should consider when designing your presentation.
• Derive the top three goals that you want to accomplish through your presentation. The entire presentation should focus on achieving these three goals. If you are not clear about what you want to achieve, your audience can easily miss the point of your presentation.
• Understand what your audience is. Think why they are there to see your presentation and their expectations. Study the background of the audience in advance if possible.
• Have a list of points that you want to communicate to your audience. Prioritize them accordingly. See whether there is any point that is difficult to understand by the audience. If there are such points, chunk them further.
• Decide on the tone you want to use in the presentation. It could be motivational, informational, celebration, etc.
• Prepare an opening speech for the presentation. Do not spend much time on it though.
• Point out all contents in brief and explain them as you've planned.
• Have a Q&A (questions and answers) session at the end of the presentation.