How to strengthen skills n abilities

Author Topic: How to strengthen skills n abilities  (Read 18779 times)

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
How to strengthen skills n abilities
« on: August 03, 2009, 01:43:46 PM »
When we decide to develop some skill or ability, especially one that may be new and relatively unfamiliar or uncomfortable, we may benefit from some or all of the five ways top athletes and businesspeople alike strengthen their skills:

1. Visualization
2. Affirmation
3. Education
4. Association
5. Action

VISUALIZATION means forming and holding pictures in our mind. Although it was a radical idea at one time, today it is common knowledge in the sports world that 'mental practice' has almost as much positive impact as physical practice. And, in mental practice, athletes practice perfectly. The imagination is a powerful thing.

If we feel weak in communication skills and dread going to a job interview, we might build a mental movie of us going on a job interview, getting along well with the the interviewer, being calm and relaxed answering the questions brilliantly, and getting hired instantly. Once built and run, our mental movie is stored in memory and can be recalled at will.

Visualization is simply the re-running of this mental movie over and over and over again. Once we understand all that, we can make it work to our benefit.
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
Re: How to strengthen skills n abilities
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 01:44:41 PM »
Affirmation is another means of programming the subconscious mind. Sometimes this is called "self-talk." Most people talk to themselves all the time, constantly, though usually silently. And most such self-talk unfortunately reinforces negative self-image beliefs. Here is an example: Lipi locks her keys in the car. To herself, she says "You idiot!" Then, "i can't seem to remember anything. I'm such a screw-up." Lipi has translated the incident into an indictment (Condemnation), a criticism of herself. It's interesting by the way that most peoples' self-talk is critical. Obviously, we do so many great smart, good and right things everyday, yet, in self-talk, we probably do not praise ourselves for doing those things. But we make a mistake, and we are all over ourselves, like our worst enemy!
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 01:46:16 PM »
The reason that is so harmful is that our subconscious mind accepts cumulative affirmations (the same affirmation heard and said repeatedly) as a “command” then it does everything in its power to fulfill the command. If we tell it that we are clumsy over and over again, it will exert its control over our physical body to literally make us even clumsier.

The good news is that you can tell it something you want to be over and over again, and it will work on making that command a reality. Now this is not “magic.” It won’t do much by itself. But as a reinforcement tool, it can be very powerful. Let’s say you’re always late and have decided to change that about yourself. You have chosen a new direction; you are going to be a punctual person. You affirmations might be:

1.   I am the kind of person who always shows up on time.
2.   Being on time and reliable is very important to me.
3.   I value and respect my own time and others’ time, so I honor my commitments.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 09:30:40 PM by shibli »

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 01:15:11 PM »
ASSOCIATION is the fourth method of strengthening a skill.We talked about association previously too. If you want to get good (or better) at  something, then it just makes sense to be with people who are as good or better than you at that thing . If you bowl, for example, you’ll never get better if the only people you bowl with are less skilled than you are. To get better as a bowler, you’d bowl with people slightly better than you are, who would challenge you, from whom you, from whom you could learn by observing.

“A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.”  -Will Rogers Famous American “cowboy humorist”
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 09:30:08 PM by shibli »

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 01:16:16 PM »
ACTION is the fifth tool. None of the above tools are of much value unless and until you take action on your thoughts and ideas. And, incidentally, most people drop the ball right here, over and over again, throughout their entire lives. The world is full of people who will tell you about the “great idea” they had, did nothing about, then saw someone else turn it into a successful product or business. Procrastination – the putting off of doing something- is the universal language of the POOR|

If you study successful people in any field, but especially in the business world, in term of careers you’ll quickly notice that they have a tendency to quickly follow decisions with actions. You become what you DO, not what you think or say, and not what others think or say about you.

Offline sabnam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 02:20:04 PM »
Thanks Shibli vai. all the information are very helpful for us all.

sabnam

Offline moheuddin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 06:44:02 PM »
Sir,
Thank you for your tips. I hope that it will very helpful for us if follow it.
moheuddin

Offline ashik

• hello frnds, whats up....
    • View Profile
    • hellooo...
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 08:07:14 PM »
Thanks sir for your information, its really help all of us.
A.K.M. Ashikur Rahman
16th Batch
Department of B.B.A
Daffodil International University

Offline ymislam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 10:16:57 AM »
Dear Shibli,

Great posts and guidelines!

Can you suggest how we can all develop 'Listening' and 'Reading' materials for the Language Lab, in particular for English I and English II?

Can you champion this effort?

Best regards.

-Yousuf
Vice Chancellor
& Executive Director, HRD Institute, Daffodil International University

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 07:55:25 PM »
Respected Yousuf sir

Before developing materials, we should introduce a diagnostic test for the students to make sure that students of same and appropriate English language skill get a particular English course registered. This is very important and effective for the students of same level to participate in acquiring English language skills properly. So my suggestion is all teachers of English 1 n 2 should sit together, develop materials and syllabus, recommend books and prepare the same questions for the midterm and final exam.

However, i would recommend Headway series for listening and the books "How to read better and faster" and "Developing reading skills" for reading for English-1 and 2.

Regards

Offline Sakiba Munni

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 05:48:29 PM »
Shibli Sir,
Your suggestions always give me food for thinking and moulding my capability and strenght.
Hope to get u regularly in forum.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 06:08:16 PM »
Dear Munni

Thanks for your inspiration. I will be more regular in forum from now on.

Warmly

Offline gazi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 12:02:24 PM »
Thank you sir, I have learnt lot of tips of skills.

gazi. :)

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 05:00:38 PM »

According to Dr. Bell if you write your new intentions every day for one year, your brain will actually rewire itself to do what you desire.

Offline bidita

• Life does not get easier, you just get stronger.
    • View Profile
    • biditarahman
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 07:39:35 PM »
Dear Sir
It really helpful for us.....
 Visualization>< Affirmation><Education><Association><Action<ultimate goal

Bidita Rahman :)
Id: 092-11-956
23rd batch
Department of Business Administration
School of Business