Lead into the topic: eg show all picture cards on the board and Ss talk about their jobs; the jobs of members of their family and friends, etc.
Learners match words and pictures. Then read them again and remember them. Feedback with concept checking and drilling.
Then students can do any or all of the following:
• play memory game (see Chrissie’s story for description)
• turn over the words and say the name of the job from the picture alone
• take away the words. Ss pick a picture and say He’s a taxi driver. She’s a doctor. etc.
• take it in turns to take a picture and ask What’s his/her job? He’s/ She’s a…
• take a picture, don’t show it to partner, partner asks Is she a doctor? Yes she is/No she isn’t.
• For a warmer the next day give each student a card. They mingle and show card to everyone they meet and ask What’s his her job? He’s a ………. Can you spell it please?
• You can also give each table a set of cards and get them to write the words on their mini-whiteboards, then check the spelling from the back of the card.