Barriers that stop inexperienced leaders

Author Topic: Barriers that stop inexperienced leaders  (Read 2231 times)

Offline riponus

• View Profile
Barriers that stop inexperienced leaders
« on: November 02, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »
Here are 5 barriers that stop inexperienced leaders from stepping forward:

Recognition – Being a leader means seeing your success differently. You cannot look for rewards and congratulations; because they may be few. Good leadership is always recognized Recognition for being good leader can often come in the form of increased responsibility; people sharing their challenges with you; and an increased understanding of the bigger picture. A leader’s job is to recognize others and know what their personal impact is.

Butterflies – Before speaking in public many people get butterflies in their stomach. The same is true when stepping forward to lead. The questions people ask themselves are often the same: What am I going to say? Why would anyone listen to me? What if I don’t have an answer? Having butterflies in one’s stomach makes sure that you keep your feet on the ground.

Not Knowing – Not knowing puts you one step closer to learning. If you think you know something, you are less likely to try and learn. But somewhere we’ve been taught that leaders should know everything. Some of the best leaders we have seen are not experts in their field. They let the experts be experts and they get on being experts in building relationships and supporting others. However, it takes practice to admit when you don’t know something and too often we don’t practice this enough.

Entitlement – “I’ve done a good job.” And “I work harder than everyone else.” And “They can’t do this to me.” Are all phrases that pepper conversations with friends? It is true that we have specific rights. It is also true that the world is not always fair. To be a leader you have to be willing to let go of your feelings of entitlement. The world will not always play by the rules and treat your fairly. You have to accept this and move on.

Failure – Who likes to fail? When we were young we have been told that “you don’t know until you try.” It is true, you’ve got to try in order to fail; you also need to try in order to succeed. Failure takes a personal payment that is difficult to cope with, but it is also essential for learning. Occasionally the price of failure is terrible; more often our fear makes the consequences larger than they appear.

Courtesy by: Ethan Ohs
K. M. Hasan Ripon
Director, Bangladesh Skill Development Institute
Chairman (Trainers Com), JCI Dhaka Central
Cell: +88-01713493206, Email: kmhasan.ripon@gmail.com

Also Find me on:
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=626556887
LinkedIn: http://bd.linkedin.com/pub/k-m-hasan-ripon