How to Write a Cover Letter

Author Topic: How to Write a Cover Letter  (Read 3067 times)

Offline mms

• View Profile
How to Write a Cover Letter
« on: December 15, 2011, 09:59:46 AM »
A cover letter is your first — and perhaps only — chance to impress a potential client or employer. Don’t let that intimidate you, though. A cover letter is, in fact, your opportunity to shine. It gives an employer a brief glimpse of the potential success you bring with you. Your experience, your personality and your enthusiasm all play a part in helping you land the job. Don’t leave them behind when building your cover letter.

How do I write a Cover Letter?
In general, be honest, genuine and professional. But the details can get a bit more complicated. Follow these simple guidelines to create a compelling cover letter that will be hard for an employer to resist!

Start with a warm and professional greeting. This person is considering hiring you – so your opening should encourage them to think of you as someone they’d like to work with. “Dear Mr. Smith,” “Dear John Smith,” or “Mr. Smith,” are all appropriate. “Hey Bob,” “What’s up, Jim?” or anything extremely casual should be changed to err on the side of formality. Don’t know the name of the person doing the hiring? “Dear Hiring Manager,” is a great way to set a professional tone from the get-go.

Get to the point. Your cover letter is not the time to write a novel about yourself. Let the employer know why you’re contacting them, what skills you have that make you the right person for this position, and where they can find more information about your work experience: “I’m interested in the position of Lead Blogger you recently posted. I have been a professional writer for nine years, and am very familiar with WordPress and Typepad. During my 3 years as editor-in-chief of Being Interested, I managed a team of writers that produced 5 blogs posts a week. You can see some of my own writing in my portfolio (www.odesk.com/users/~~…)

Hit the highlights. Most job postings will give you very clear hints about the type of skills the desired candidate will have. If you have these skills, you should mention them – repeating the employer’s needs for the role and how you fill those criteria will make it clear that you are the right person for the job: “You had mentioned that you were looking for someone with a background in creative writing and journalism. I studied both in college, where I majored in English. I began my career as an assistant editor at the local paper, where I learned to take a hands-on approach to investigative journalism.”

Follow directions. Many potential employers will ask candidates to fulfill a specific request in their cover letter. This is designed to help them One Wayquickly weed through applications, and cull out those who are taking the “copy & paste” approach to submitting resumes. If you’re asked to answer specific questions or include a keyword in your reply, make sure you do it! As an added bonus, calling out that they have requested this information is a great way to let them know you are about to make their hiring decision even easier:  “Per your request, here are the links to three articles I’ve written about local events, gardening or technology….”

Close the sale. Make sure you let them know your availability for the position and invite them to contact you to discuss further. It’s a polite way to “ask for the job” and reinforce your enthusiasm for working with this employer:  “Moving forward, I can dedicate 15 hours/week to your company, and my daily hours are negotiable. I’m very excited to assist you in making your blog successful – please feel free to contact me directly to discuss this position further.”

Reread, edit and consider. Before you click “send”, take another look at the job description. Did you address all of their criteria in your cover letter? If you were the person hiring for this position, would your cover letter fit the bill? Does your profile and your portfolio support your application for this job? (If not, don’t apply! Save your energy for a position that better suits your skills and abilities.) If you’re unsure, ask a friend to review the job posting and your cover letter, and listen carefully to their perspective – they might find a hidden gem that makes the difference in you landing the job!

Cover letters are the first view an employer or client gets of you, so make sure you’re putting your best foot forward. For more tips on crafting a successful cover letter, check out our previous post on Writing a Killer Cover Letter, a brief list of ways to ensure your cover letter is truly “killer”

Source:https://www.odesk.com/blog/2010/05/how-to-write-a-cover-letter/
Md. Moniruzzaman Sarker
Lecturer
Department of Business Administration,
Daffodil International University.

Offline hasibur rahaman

• View Profile
Re: How to Write a Cover Letter
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 09:03:50 PM »
Very Informative and Useful post..
Sir,, Thank you for sharing....
Md. Hasibur Rahaman
Assistant Administrative Officer
Office of the Dean (FSIT) & Emeritus Professor
Daffodil International University

Offline Tanvir Ahmed Chowdhury

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 12:35:47 PM »
Very Useful Post.............
Tanvir Ahmed Chowdhury

Assistant Professor
Department of Textile Engineering
Faculty of Engineering
Daffodil International University

Offline tree

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 12:55:21 AM »
Very helpful and informative post

Offline nature

• I love my University
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 11:17:22 PM »
Cover letter is the very useful things in our day to day life and to write a correct and proper cover letter this post will help us.

Thanks for sharing.
Name: Md. Faruque Hossain
ID: 142-14-1436
Department of MBA
Daffodil International  University
Email:faruque_1362@diu.edu.bd

Offline sethy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 10:08:10 AM »
Very effective post. Here are some  tips to write a cover letter.

1. Be brief and to the point.

Most of the time a cover letter for a job application only has to state that you are applying for a position and that the application and supporting materials are enclosed. That's it.

2. Make no mistake about it.

The most important caveat in a cover letter? Make no mistake about it. Absolutely no errors. Your cover letter must be perfection itself. A typo, a poor printing job, a misspelling - mistakes will make a poor impression because they imply that you don't care.

Sazia Afrin Sethy
ID:101-11-1366
BBA Department,
Batch: 25th,
Sec: B.

Offline sethy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 10:09:16 AM »
3. Use a word processor.

Never hand write a cover letter. Never. Prepare your cover letter on a computer using MicroSoft Word. Don't have a computer? Borrow a friend's or go to a business center and rent one for an hour or two.

4. Avoid fancy fonts and colors.

You are not creating a flyer or a poster. So use a business font such as Arial. No colors. Black on white reproduces easily. Use a plain white paper. No deckled finishes or colors either. Print your cover letter and resume on a laser printer. DeskJet printer ink smudges.

5. Keep it short.

Your cover letter should be one page in length and perfectly centered. The cover letter and resume are never folded. They are placed in an envelope large enough to accommodate them unfolded.
Sazia Afrin Sethy
ID:101-11-1366
BBA Department,
Batch: 25th,
Sec: B.

Offline tree

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 09:11:20 PM »
Yes cover letter is very important so for this information and description give us thank you