Chamok Hasan on making mathematics fun

Author Topic: Chamok Hasan on making mathematics fun  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Annita Tahsin

• Judging yourself is far better than judging others
    • View Profile
Chamok Hasan on making mathematics fun
« on: March 02, 2020, 09:57:59 AM »
Acclaimed young writer and social media personality Chamok Hasan earned his PhD in Electrical Engineering from the University of South Carolina, USA, after graduating in the same subject from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology. He is currently an R&D engineer at Boston Scientific Corporation, a leading medical device manufacturing company located in California. We recently caught up with him to learn more about his work.

What sparked your interest towards writing?

I love to learn and teach new things. Whenever I learn something new or conceive an idea, I want to share the knowledge with others.  I also write lyrics and poetry to express my thoughts. 

How many books have you authored so far?

I have written 6 books, including Golpe Jolpe Genetics (Part 1 and 2), Goniter Ronge Hashikhushi Gonit, Onko Bhaia and Nimikh Pane (Part 1 and 2). Among these, the Golpe Jolpe Genetics series is a translation of the book, A Cartoon Guide To Genetics. This year, I have released Nimikh Pane – Part 2, a book that explains the concepts of integral calculus in interesting ways. It consists of stories about how the idea of integration was initially conceived and how it evolved over time. It is now available at the Ekushey Boi Mela. The first book, Nimikh Pane – Part 1, which came out last year, is about differential calculus.

What are some of the themes that you touch upon in your books?

I generally write about mathematics and science while fundamentally focusing on the idea of making learning fun. Generally, our textbooks and teaching system focus on 'how' to solve problems rather than understanding 'why' they are defined the way they are. Bombarding a student with rules to follow blindly leaves no room for imagination. The aim of my work is to let students explore and enjoy the learning experiences. I always incorporate humour in my books through cartoons, jokes, and anecdotes because I think humour is the secret to effective learning.

Could you elaborate on your journey as an author?

I have been writing for local magazines and newspapers from a young age. I started writing about mathematics and science after I got affiliated with the Bangladesh Mathematical Olympiad's Academic team in 2008. In addition, I wrote in the Gonit Ishkool page of Prothom Alo. I never imagined that my work on science would be so well received by people. I am thankful to my followers for their support.

How would you describe your experience as a young author at the Ekushey Boi Mela?

I am glad to see the emergence of so many young authors at the Ekushey Boi Mela. However, at the same time, I think some of the books needed better content. The quality of the books released at the fair should be accessed in a proper way.

What are your comments on the opportunities for young writers in Bangladesh?

These days, social media platforms let emerging writers engage with potential readers and advertise their work prior to the release. However, developing a literary career is still challenging, because we lack a healthy ecosystem of writers, readers, publishers and critics.

source: https://www.thedailystar.net/star-youth/news/chamok-hasan-making-mathematics-fun-1873225
Annita Tahsin Priyoti
Lecturer,
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Daffodil International University
E-mail: annita.cse@diu.edu.bd

Offline anika.cse

• Test
    • View Profile
Re: Chamok Hasan on making mathematics fun
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 11:55:43 PM »
He is an asset of our country.
Tasfia Anika Bushra