A Sense of Calm: A Jewel Of Wisdom

Author Topic: A Sense of Calm: A Jewel Of Wisdom  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Badshah Mamun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Daffodil International University
« on: May 14, 2012, 03:28:40 PM »

By Bob Garner

In my book, Masters of Motivation, I include an updated and gender friendly version of the classic work, "As a Man Thinketh," by James Allen.

"As A Man Thinketh" was the very first motivational book ever written, and most of the inspirational works that you buy today include either quotes or specific references to this book. In my speeches, I refer to Allen's quotes often - especially one that deals with being "gentle" with yourself.

Allen wrote, "Calmness of mind is one of the beautiful jewels of wisdom. It is the result of long and patient effort in self-control." How true and how also true that we oftentimes find ourselves not in a state of calm and peace, but in a state of anxiety and stress.

Most of those feelings of stress and anxiety are self-induced and oftentimes stem from a "feeling" that we lack enough time to do what we want or need to do. (Time is even associated with money, i.e.: "If I only had more time, I could make more money" and, of course, "Time is money.") Sometimes, we are at fault for filling our own schedules so full that we don't know what needs to be done next. Additionally, there are times when we feel that others put time constraints on us or force us into unwanted deadlines. In all cases, it is how we choose to react to these deadlines that will allow us to be either in a state of calm or a state of chaos. Remember feelings can be changed, and whatever can be changed can be controlled.

If you are one of these people who fill their own schedule to the breaking point, then you need to begin to take it easier on yourself. Step back and let others pull their weight. If the environment gets to "ugly" - that means that others are unhappy that you aren't doing their work, too - then pick up your "power" and go someplace where they don't treat people as machines, but as spirits with feelings.

If others put demands on you for your time, you must also step back and decide if their demands are rational or are they passing their problems on to you. If you can't "take on" their problems, explain to them calmly the reason(s) why. Again, if they can't understand why, you don't want to deal with their problems - or what they may consider to be "grunt work" - then you would be better off looking for another place to park your gifts and power.

If for some reason you must complete the task, then you need to do so while maintaining a state of calmness and peace. To do that, follow these easy steps.

Take a moment and find a place that you can be alone. It could be the bathroom, your car, wherever. Take a few deep breaths. Feel yourself connected to the Universe and the Universal Spirit. Reflect on the fact that you were made in the image of GOD and that nothing can truly upset you, unless you allow it. When you allow "something" to upset you, you give it your emotional power. (You don't need to give your power to anyone. It belongs to you and you can keep it. You don't need anyone's permission to explore, analyze or keep your power...it's all yours!)

Take back your power and realize that you can handle whatever needs to be done. Say to yourself a simple affirmation such as, "I am choosing to do this, and I know that I have the power to do it quickly and without effort," or "This is just another opportunity for me to show the world just how wonderful I am" or "I've been asked to do this because everyone knows that I can handle it. I can handle all things through the infinite power that guides me."

The next step is to see yourself completing the task with ease and calmness. This is called visualization, and what you are doing is setting up a pattern that your subconscious mind will follow. (As I mentioned in my previous ezines, the subconscious mind does not judge or decide anything, it just does what the conscious mind directs it to do. When you visualize, you use the conscious mind to begin and develop your vision.)

Play what you need to do or accomplish in your mind, just like a movie. See yourself completing the task with no difficulty at all. You can, you know. You have the power.

When you are done visualizing, be grateful that you have the power and fortitude to accomplish the task, take a few more deep, relaxing breathes, and then head back to start your task.

These steps will help you cultivate a sense of patience and strength, as opposed to being stressed out and panicked. These steps will help you gain a sense of calm - which as Allen stated was a true "jewel of wisdom"; a jewel that shines from the inside out.

Source: http://www.successconsciousness.com/guest_articles/sense-of-calm.html
Md. Abdullah-Al-Mamun (Badshah)
Senior Assistant Director
Daffodil International University
01811-458850
cmoffice@daffodilvarsity.edu.bd
www.daffodilvarsity.edu.bd

www.fb.com/badshahmamun.ju
www.linkedin.com/in/badshahmamun
www.twitter.com/badshahmamun