What Transforms a Resume from Average to Stellar?

Author Topic: What Transforms a Resume from Average to Stellar?  (Read 1324 times)

Offline doha

• View Profile
« on: January 26, 2021, 10:46:04 AM »

As a Career Coach, I guide people through professional transitions to help them build more satisfying lives. Most of my conversations with prospective clients start with a request for a new resume. They call me because they are frustrated, their job search is stalled and they can’t win interviews. We discuss their goals, what they have tried so far and I explain how a few key changes can improve their results. Many times the problem is not simply a weak resume – they may also lack a focused goal or are using outdated job search strategies (for example, not active on LinkedIn).

The resume development process itself is the foundation for a successful job search

Through our remote coaching sessions, I help my clients clarify their goals so they target the right jobs, identify the work environment in which they thrive and articulate their unique skills, strengths and values. We then use this information to turn their resume into a forward-facing marketing document that positions them strategically for their next role.

I have found that most people have not ever asked themselves “What do I bring to the table?”. That is where my career coaching training comes in. Using a series of probing questions I have developed over my years in practice, I capture the essence of who they are as a person and what they find the most rewarding. I need to discover their expertise, experience and quantified achievements to convey the unique value they offer an employer in a compelling manner. After creating their career narrative, I help them evaluate their marketability.

In today’s competitive job market, your resume, LinkedIn profile and executive bio work together to solidify your professional brand and are most effective when used in conjunction with a strategic job search plan.

Writing a resume is like painting a room – you must do the prep work to achieve the best results. Typically, I spend 2-3 hours collecting information before I even begin composing a resume. I need to get to know you well and do industry research to identify the skillset that employers require before I can describe how you can fulfill their needs. I see the original information I am provided as the (boring!) bare bones of the resume. The nuggets that come out of our work together are what will transform your resume from average to stellar.

As you can see, you are not hiring me to just type up your resume with some powerful phrases and a modern layout so that it gets through the Applicant Tracking Systems. You are engaging my services so that I can apply my extensive training and years of experience to ensure your success. (Plus, I love this stuff! Yes, I am a proud “resume nerd”.)  A strong resume is one of the many byproducts of our work together, but the resume development process itself is the most important. I see our work together as a truly collaborative partnership and I will work tirelessly to help you achieve success.

If you are ready to move from where you are to where you want to be, let’s schedule a free consultation.

Like this article? Please share it with others who may find it useful.

www.skill.jobs
https://blog.skill.jobs/
https://test.skill.jobs/home
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 11:25:08 AM by doha »