Ceramic Water Filters Technology
Ceramic filtration is based on mechanical process. Water is filtered from one side of the filter and go through small pore size of ceramic material.
Particles that have size bigger than ceramic pores cannot pass through ceramic material and it stays on the exterior surface of the ceramic.
Effectiveness is depends on the pore size and its consistency within the ceramic material. Different manufacturer has different technology. Therefore, ceramic filter quality is different between manufacturers.
There are two types of ceramic filters :
candle type Benefits of Ceramic Water Filters
1. Cheap and able to filter dirt, sediments and and most dangerous bacteria (patogen) but it is still depends on the pore size i.e. ceramic quality.
2. Ceramic material is inert and has no reaction with chemicals.
3. Typical ceramic filters is made of clay and other natural materials that burnt out during process of filter making. So, it is very safe.
4. Minerals and oxygen can pass through it.
5. Particles that have size bigger than ceramic pores will stay on the ceramic surcace and it can be cleaned by gentle washing or scrubing with softpad or brush.
6. If the water flow becomes slower, smaller particles that block the pores of the ceramic can be removed by stiff brusing, to remove the ceramic outer surface, i.e. the top layer.
7. Can function at low water pressure but output will be slow as well.
8. No need electricity to function.
9. Some ceramic water filter (the candle type) can combine with activated carbon to filter chlorine and other chemicals.
10 .Silver metal particles can be impregnated into ceramic materials to stop bacteria from growing.
The above listed benefits and limitations are general guidelines for you when choosing a drinking water filter using ceramic technology. You may check out the details from relevent manufacturers of the quality of the ceramic filter.Limitations of Ceramic Water Filters
1. Typical ceramic filter does not remove chemicals.
2. Need to handle ceramic filter very gentlely to avoid crack.
3. Fine line crack is hard to see. Contaminated water can pass through the hairline without being filtered and without we realize it.
4. Water flow through the filter is slow about 1 to 3 liters per hour.
5. Surface of the other side of ceramic filter is clean and it can be contaminated if not handle properly.
6. Silver metal that impregnated into ceramic filter can leach out but some manufacturers' products have very low reaching rate that within the safe limit.
7. When water pressure is low, the output of the filtration could be extremely slow compared to other types of filtration methods.