THE PIVOTAL WORDS

Author Topic: THE PIVOTAL WORDS  (Read 1241 times)

Offline nahidaakter

• Test
    • View Profile
THE PIVOTAL WORDS
« on: August 17, 2021, 11:16:27 AM »
No words are as helpful while reading as the prepositions and conjunctions that guide your mind along the pathways of the author's ideas. Master these words and phrases and you will almost immediately become a better reader. Here’s what they are and what they say:

Additive words: "Here's more of the same coming up. It's just as important as what we have already said."
Also, further, moreover, and, furthermore, too, besides, in addition
Equivalent words: "It does what I have just said, but it does this too."
As well as, at the same time, similarly, equally important, likewise
Amplification words: "I want to be sure that you understand my idea; so here's a specific instance."
For example (e.g.), specifically, as ,for instance, such as, like
Alternative words: "Sometimes there is a choice; other times there isn't."
Either/or, other than, neither/nor, otherwise
Repetitive words: "I said it once, but I'm going to say it again in case you missed it the first time."
Again, in other words, to repeat, that is (i.e.)
Contrast and Change words: "So far I've given you only one side of the story; now let's take a look at the other side."
But, on the contrary, still, conversely, on the other hand, though, despite, instead of, yet, however, rather than, regardless, nevertheless, even though, whereas, in spite of, notwithstanding
Cause and effect words: "All this has happened; now I'll tell you why."
Accordingly, since, then, because, so, thus, consequently, hence, therefore, for this reason
Qualifying words: "Here is what we can expect. These are the conditions we are working under."
If, although, unless, providing, whenever
Concession words: "Okay! We agree on this much."
accepting the data, granted that, of course
Emphasizing words: "Wake up and take notice!"
above all, more important, indeed
Order words: "You keep your mind on reading: I'll keep the numbers straight."
Finally, second, then, first, next, last
Time words: "Let's keep the record straight on who said what and especially when."
Afterwards, meanwhile, now, before, subsequently, presently, formerly, ultimately, previously, later
Summarizing words: "We've said many things so far. Let's stop here and pull them together."
for these reasons, in brief, in conclusion, to sum up