media influence

Author Topic: media influence  (Read 3279 times)

Offline nafrin

• View Profile
media influence
« on: January 11, 2012, 11:53:11 AM »
There is no doubt that the media influences us. To state some examples to prove this claim, try answering the questions that follow.
Do you feel like attempting a stunt from a movie?
Do you base your fashion on what you see the celebrities are wearing?
Do you copy the hairstyle of your favorite famous personalities?
Have you ever attempted to walk model-like in an attempt to imitate those ramp models in fashion shows?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then it is accepting the influence on media in your life. However, it is important to dwell on the negative influences of media because these can change the dynamics of the society for the worse.

Nujhat Afrin
Lecturer
dept of English

Offline Antara11

• Senior Lecturer, English Dept.
    • View Profile
Re: media influence
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:55:36 PM »
Many young people do all these as you said and try to follow the way of life as shown in drama, movie and so on. In the long run they face much difficulty when they get introduced with reality.

Antara Basak
Lecturer
Dept. of English
Antara Basak
Senior Lecturer
Dept. of English

Offline nafrin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 11:24:36 AM »
yes it is, coz reality matters

Offline tanbir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 05:18:32 PM »
Now media influence is not only related to fashion. Now it has vast effect on society, culture, religious and on overall economical field.
Tanbir
Lecturer, Department of Pharmacy,
DIU.

Offline sushmita

• Faculty
  • I want to cross myself everyday.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 05:31:49 PM »
Obviously,media influences us.In the last 50 years the media influence has grown exponentially with the advance of technology, first there was the telegraph, then the radio, the newspaper, magazines, television and now the internet.

We live in a society that depends on information and communication to keep moving in the right direction and do our daily activities like work, entertainment, health care, education, personal relationships, traveling and anything else that we have to do.

A common person in the city usually wakes up checks the tv news or newspaper, goes to work, makes a few phone calls, eats with their family when possible and makes his decisions based on the information that he has either from their co workers, news, tv, friends, family, financial reports, etc.

What we need to be aware is that most of our decisions, beliefs and values are based on what we know for a fact, our assumptions and our own experience. In our work we usually know what we have to do based on our experience and studies, however on our daily lives we rely on the media to get the current news and facts about what is important and what we should be aware of.

We have put our trust on the media as an authority to give us news, entertainment and education. However, the influence of mass media on our kids, teenagers and society is so big that we should know how it really works.

Of all the media distribution channels the most influential has been the television, we are constantly exposed to thousands of images of violence, advertising, sex, celebrities and much more, in fact a its known that a child is exposed to about 40,000 ads a year.

Offline sushmita

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 05:34:33 PM »
The media makes billions of dollars with the advertising they sell and that we are exposed to. We buy what we are told to be good, after seeing thousands of advertisings we make our buying decisions based on what we saw on Tv, newspapers or magazines to be a product we can trust and also based on what everyone else that we know is buying and their decision are also base don the media.

These are the effects of mass media in teenagers, they buy what they see on Tv, what their favorite celebrity advertise and what is acceptable by society based on the fashion that the media has imposed them.

There are some positive and negative influences in young people.

Here is a positive influence example, if there is a sport that is getting a lot of attention by the media and gains popularity among your friends and society, you will more likely want to practice the sport and be cool with all your friends. The result is that you will have fun with your friends and be more healthy because of the exercise your are doing.

However a negative influence in teenagers is the use of cigars by celebrity movie stars, the constant exposure of sex images, the excessive images of violence and exposure to thousands of junk food ads.

Young people are in a stage of life where they want to be accepted by their peers, they want to be loved and be successful. The media creates the ideal image of a beautiful men and women and tells you what are the characteristics of a successful person, you can see it in movies and tv. Its a subliminal way to tell you that if you are not like them you are not cool yet so its time to buy the stuff they buy and look like they look.

Another negative influence in teenagers that has grown over the last years are anorexia and obesity. There are millions of adolescents fighting obesity, but at the same time they are exposed to thousands of advertisements of junk food, while the ideas image of a successful person is told to be thin and wealthy.

Offline nafrin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 11:54:10 AM »
yes it is.see our real life cant be measured without media,last two days, I cant sleep well due to the news of sagor -runi murder.they lived in front of my house.and I just shocked,cant concentrate to my due jobs.

Offline sushmita

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 06:16:33 PM »
It seem seems to me the same case can be happened to my family also but media is not gonna publish our events.

Offline Sima

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 03:27:58 PM »
Media influencing us negatively rather than positively just because we are trying to do these all things specially negative things in our practical life without thinking about it's adverse effects...
Sima Rani Dey
Lecturer
Dept. of Natural Sciences

Offline riponahmed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 07:28:01 PM »
it has good or bed sides.

Offline nafrin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 03:01:30 PM »