Happy Independence Day : let us talk about 'the season of watermelons'

Author Topic: Happy Independence Day : let us talk about 'the season of watermelons'  (Read 4873 times)

Offline Gopa B. Caesar

• View Profile
I do not know since when have I started calling this semi-summer the season of watermelon. It has been occurring to me in last few years, when out of nowhere, suddenly my walks home start getting filled up with watermelons in one of the busiest footpath markets, in Farmgate. The juicy red pyramids that are put to raise the potential customers within one rarely fail. Recently I started getting a similar kind of aura in my campus corridors as a group of students of our university were found determined enough to wear red and green throughout the whole month of March.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:55:14 AM by Gopa B. Caesar »

Offline Gopa B. Caesar

• View Profile
I found it quiet interesting and thought of having a talk with them whenever I happen to get a chance. One fine morning almost all of the watermeloned students flooded my cubicle with their superfine laughter. They, however, came up with a “humble” request to join them. My “why” brought a “just-fell-from-the-sky” expression on their faces, all of them started talking almost at the same time, and my tiny cubicle started filling up with words like --- freedom, independence, green Bengal, red sun, blood, martyrs… and 26th March. That evening I also noticed that the tailors’ are also boiling with nationalistic enthusiasm, they denied to take any order as they were too busy with sewing the red and greens --- shelwar-kameej-dupatta-punjabies.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:55:37 AM by Gopa B. Caesar »

Offline Gopa B. Caesar

• View Profile
I hope the spirit of Independence will not be trapped within these colours only, let it surpass the season of watermelon, let us live the spirit everyday as we grow. I do not know if such enthusiasms are sticky enough to hold on the attires or not. It is cozier to enjoy the evening in a blind lane of Farmgate with a bowl of watermelon after a hot-long-semi-summer-walk and a fictive-nationalism-talk with my students… “um lovin’ it” Let the watermelons be seasonal only, not nationalism. Amen.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:55:52 AM by Gopa B. Caesar »

Offline Ferdousi Begum

• Don't give up.
    • View Profile
Dear Gopa,
I completely agree with what you just said, or rather, I would like to say that I could not agree more.
The way our nationalistic enthusiasm has been turning out to be "SEASONAL", it really seems scary.
Thanks for sharing your earnest thoughts.
Happy Independence Day to all.
And AMEN to your prayers.
Apu

Offline Gopa B. Caesar

• View Profile
Thanx for your valueable comment, Ferdousi Apu.
I was not sure whether I had been hitting the right chord or orchestrate a chaos on our nationalism. But during the last few years, if we study a bit carefully onto the fashion houses we will surely find that they have successfully tailored the tastes of dress-scenes of the youths and older generations alike. Now all our occasions are more cornered towards fashion-fabs than the spirit of it. And i hurt-fully OBJECT there!

Offline Ferdousi Begum

• Don't give up.
    • View Profile
OBJECTION sustained, dear!
The way you have been lampooning our students, i think they would try to think on it. ;)
Regards
Ferdousi

Offline Gopa B. Caesar

• View Profile
Dear Apu,
I was not lampooning :P ...
you can rather call it ridiculation...
and the purpose it first and foremost 'some' kind of rectification, I guess. :)
I wouldn't mind if someone wears a green n red toned dress during our independence day or victory day or someone adorning a yellow-tinged attire for celebrating falgun but if the spirit is there.
What we lack as a nation is learning to love the country.
I know our limitations as a struggling nation, but should that hinder us to captivate the passion for this land?
I don't think they should, do you by the way?

Offline Ferdousi Begum

• Don't give up.
    • View Profile
NOWAY! why should I dear.
lol...

Offline Gopa B. Caesar

• View Profile
Exactly, there you go!
I know corrupt politicians, bureaucrats and many others have maimed our reputation as a nation, but should we let that belittle the glories we've achieved through our hard works? Many of us complain that we don't have this... we don't have that...blah blah blah...
but the question is how much do we try to achieve those?

Offline Ferdousi Begum

• Don't give up.
    • View Profile
WELL-SAID!!!
GO ON, sweetoo!!! :*

Offline nafrin

• View Profile
nice to have such post. relxx

Offline shipra

• View Profile
Nice topic. I will discuss this with you.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
I also agree with Gopa.There should not be any prejudice that people can not wear dresses relating to particular national or cultural occasion.The thing that bothers me is that do they really feel any love for their country and thus want to do anything for her at all?

Regards

Shamsi Apu

Offline Gopa B. Caesar

• View Profile
Thanx for sharing your views Shamsi apu and Shipra apu :)

Offline nirvana

• Test
    • View Profile
26th March - independence day- national flag - red & green - WATERMELON =  :)

what a chronology ... what a metaphor ! sublime...

good work Gopa..( btw...Independence day has recently been declared as National Day by our govt.)