THE POSSIBLE "TEACHING STRATEGIES" part-I

Author Topic: THE POSSIBLE "TEACHING STRATEGIES" part-I  (Read 1188 times)

Offline tanchi

• Faculty
    • View Profile
THE POSSIBLE "TEACHING STRATEGIES" part-I
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:00:37 PM »
Lecture
For many years, the lecture method was the most widely used instructional strategy in college classrooms. Nearly 80% of all U.S. college classrooms in the late 1970s reported using some form of the lecture method to teach students. Although the usefulness of other teaching strategies is being widely examined today, the lecture still remains an important way to communicate information.
Used in conjunction with active learning teaching strategies, the traditional lecture can be an effective way to achieve instructional goals. The advantages of the lecture approach are that it provides a way to communicate a large amount of information to many listeners maximizes instructor control and is non-threatening to students. The disadvantages are that lecturing minimizes feedback from students, assumes an unrealistic level of student understanding and comprehension, and often disengages students from the learning process causing information to be quickly forgotten.
The following recommendations can help make the lecture approach more effective:
1. Fit the lecture to the audience
2. Focus your topic - remember you cannot cover everything in one lecture
3. Prepare an outline that includes 5-9 major points you want to cover in one lecture
4. Organize your points for clarity
5. Select appropriate examples or illustrations
6. Present more than one side of an issue and be sensitive to other perspectives
7. Repeat points when necessary
8. Be aware of your audience - notice their feedback
9. Be enthusiastic - you don’t have to be an entertainer but you should be excited by your topic.

Khadiza Rahman Tanchi
Assistant Professor
Department of Business Administration
Daffodil International University

Offline tree

• View Profile
Re: THE POSSIBLE "TEACHING STRATEGIES" part-I
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 03:36:16 PM »
Nice post