Internet and Email Etiquette - Netiquette
Etiquette helps individuals behave in a socially responsible way. In simpler words, etiquette transforms a man into a gentle man.
Remember employees need to behave sensibly and appropriately to make their position secure at the workplace. No organization likes to have someone who lacks etiquette. Respect the place where you earn a living for yourself.
Communication plays a pivotal role in getting things done in the right way. Employees should pass on information in its desired form across all related departments. Playing with information is considered strictly unethical. Prefer written modes of communication over verbal communication.
Email is considered a reliable mode of communication as there is written record of transaction for future reference.What is Netiquette (Network + Etiquette) ?Netiquette also called Internet Etiquette refers to a set of rules an individual needs to follow while communicating through mails, writing blogs, sharing views on online portals or any other online forum.
Let us go through some Internet Etiquette
01. Make sure emails are self explanatory. The other person should understand your views and ideas.
02. Donâ€™t use capital letters in emails unless and until it is the first alphabet of a word. Turn off the CAPS lock key. Emails written in all capitals
are considered rude and loud.
03.Be crisp. Lengthy emails are seldom read. Never ever deviate from the actual topic.
04. The subject line ought to be meaningful and relevant. Through subject line employees can quickly know what is written in the email. Start your mail with formal greetings.
05. Format your emails correctly. Justify your text. Break the complete message into short paragraphs with equal spaces in between. Use
bullets â€“points wherever required.
06. Keep all related members in loop. Do mark a blind copy to your reporting boss for him to know what you are up to?
07. All official emails must have signatures at the bottom. Your signature should include your name, your companyâ€™s name, your designation
and contact details. Make sure your signatures do not have incorrect information.
08. Avoid writing offensive emails to anyone. It worsens the situation. It is always better to sit with the other person and discuss issues face
09. Take care of your font style and size. Official emails should ideally be written in Arial style with a font size of twelve. Emails written in
various colours and designer styles are considered unprofessional and childish.
10. Make sure you reply to all your mails. Donâ€™t add members just for the sake of it. Donâ€™t send mails to individuals who have nothing to do with
your information. It is a sheer waste of yours as well as their time.
11. Donâ€™t write anything in your mail which might fall back on you. Read your mail twice before hitting the send button.
12. Employees should not open illegal or porn sites at workplace. Read carefully the terms and conditions before opening any website. Do not
open any site which might harm your office computer.
13. Take care of spelling errors, punctuation marks and grammer. Wrong spellings irritate the readers. Be polite and soft in your communication.
14. Avoid using short forms or abbreviations in official mails.
15. It is important to respect otherâ€™s privacy. Donâ€™t check anyoneâ€™s mails in his absence.
16. The mail meant for a particular individual should be marked only to him. Do not mark anyone else in bcc. Communicate with him in private.
17. Use words like â€œregardsâ€, â€œthanksâ€, â€œyours sincerelyâ€ to close your mails.
18. Avoid attaching heavy files to your mail.
19. Do not upload objectionable photographs in any networking site.
20. Respect the other personâ€™s views while sharing information on various online forums.