Interview Etiquette - Codes of Conduct for InterviewsEtiquette
refers to good manners which help transform a man into a gentleman. An individual must behave well in public to gain respect and appreciation from others. It is essential to behave in a socially acceptable way.Interview
is nothing but an interaction between the employer and potential employee where the employer tries to judge the individual on various parameters for prospective employment in organization.
An individual must do well in interviews to be a part of his dream job.Interview Etiquette
Interview etiquette refers to codes of conduct an individual must follow while appearing for interviews.
Let us go through some interview etiquette:
01. While appearing for telephonic interviews, make sure you have your resume in front of you. Move to a quiet place and keep a pen and
paper handy to jot down address or other necessary details.
02. An individual must be present at the interview venue before time. Start from your home a little early and allow a margin for traffic
congestion, car problems, route diversions and other unavoidable circumstances. Check the route well in advance to avoid last minute
03. If you do not have own conveyance, book a cab or ask your friend or family member to drop you right outside the venue. Avoid going by
public transport that day.
04. Be very particular about your appearance. Follow the professional dress code for an everlasting first impression. Wear something which
looks good on you. Coordinate a light color shirt with a dark colour well fitted trouser. Make sure your shoes are polished and do not make
noise. Hair should be neatly combed and do apply a mild perfume. It is essential to smell good.
05. Enter the interviewerâ€™s cabin with confidence. Greet him with a warm smile. A firm handshake says that an individual is confident,
aggressive and willing to take challenges. Do not offer to shake hands if the interviewer is a female. Do not sit unless you have been told
06. Make an eye contact with the interviewer. Avoid looking here and there.
07. Be honest with the interviewer. Remember a single lie leads to several other lies. Avoid fake stories. It might land you in trouble later.
08. Take care of your pitch and tone. Be polite but firm.
09. Stay calm. Avoid being nervous during interviews. Remember no one will hang you till death if you do not clear the interview. There is
always a second chance.
10. One must sit straight for the desired impact. Avoid fiddling with pen and paper. It is important to have the right attitude as it helps you
stand apart from the crowd.
11. Keep your cell phone in the silent mode while attending interviews. Cell phone ringing during interviews is an offense.
12. Chewing gum during interview is childish.
13. Do not fold your resume; instead keep it in a proper folder. Carry all other relevant documents which you might need during interview. Keep
a passport size photograph handy.
14. Slang's and one-liners must not be used in interviews.
15. Avoid cracking jokes with the interviewer.
16. Once you are done with the interview, do not forget to thank the interviewer.