Affirmations and Self-Talk
By Remez Sasson
Repeating affirmations is a self-talk method that can affect and change behavior and habits. This is an effective method for self improvement and for improving one's life, because the subconscious mind accepts and regards often-repeated thoughts, statements or self-talk as commands. The subconscious mind does not make distinctions between negative and positive thoughts and self-talk, and treats them both in the same way, which means that you have to be careful to choose only positive affirmations
If you pay attention to what is going in your mind, you will discover that the mind is a constant state of thinking. There is a constant self-talk activity going on. You can use this self-talk to your advantage, when you know how. You can fill your mind with positive thoughts, and direct it toward achievement and success. You can do so by repeating positive words and statements, instead of occupying the mind with useless or negative thinking.
Repeating affirmations is a powerful mental programming technique, which is not appreciated enough and is not well understood. There is a lot of information available on this subject nowadays, but few really know how to use it correctly, and fewer even try. To some, it seems just as a useless and impractical theory, but when well understood, it puts a wonderful and powerful tool in your hands.
To affirm means to "make firm", which means making your desired desire or goal firm or real. It is a process of making positive statements about your goal. A statement that is often repeated, affects the subconscious mind, which then uses it enormous power to find ways to make it come true.
You reap whatever your conscious mind sows into your subconscious mind. Your often repeated thoughts and words shape your character and your life, according to whether they are constructive or destructive.
Give this method a try. You have nothing to lose, but only to gain. Try them for a couple of months and see if your life improves.
Here are some basic guidelines for repeating affirmations - positive self talk:
1. Always phrase your affirmations in the present tense. You want to achieve your goal now, not in some indefinable future. For example, if your goal is to find a job, don't say, "I will have a job", using the future tense. Say, "I have a well-paying and wonderful job, which I love and enjoy".
2. Use only positive and constructive words, describing what you really want to attain or achieve.
3. Be specific. Tell your mind exactly what it is that you want.
4. It is advisable to keep the affirmations short and easy to remember.
5. You should also include feelings and strong desire. You should feel and believe that what you are saying is already true. Feelings and emotions give life to your words.
6. You may repeat affirmations at any time you want or at special set times during the day. Immediately after waking up and before falling asleep are two very appropriate times, as at these times it is easier to get to the subconscious mind.
7. You may repeat affirmations aloud, mentally or by writing them down.
These are just basic instructions, but they will surely bring you results, if you follow them sincerely.
Want to lesrn about affirmations? You can find complete guidance, instructions and advice, as well as a list of affirmations, appropriate for almost every goal or situation, in the book Affirmations - Words with Power.