Good Teacher

Author Topic: Good Teacher  (Read 15580 times)

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Good Teacher
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 11:02:07 AM »
The most difficult part of teaching is checking scripts, i think. We are to evaluate the scripts of four quizzes, midterm and final exams. However, the time for checking scripts of final examination should be increased.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:04:44 PM by shibli »
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 04:54:37 PM »

Five. Good teaching is also about style. Should good teaching be entertaining? You bet! Does this mean that it lacks in substance? Not a chance! Effective teaching is not about being locked with both hands glued to a podium or having your eyes fixated on a slide projector while you drone on. Good teachers work the room and every student in it. They realize that they are the conductors and the class is the orchestra. All students play different instruments and at varying proficiencies.
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 04:55:29 PM »

Teaching is a great art. Not all can become good teachers. A good teacher might be a scholar or a good student but a scholar or a good student might not always be a good teacher. A professor from Cambridge University remarked, "A good teacher should have the following qualities. First, he or she must know the material that he or she is teaching very well. Second, he or she should be able to explain his or her knowledge. Third, he or she must be patient and understanding. Last, he or she must be able to make the subject matter interesting to the students."

Dr. Serajul Islam Choudhury, a veteran professor of English from the University of Dhaka said, “learning is a life-long process and there is no real ending to it till the last moment. Ideally, teachers should be given pre-entrance as well as in-service training. Also, a teacher need not be bureaucratic; on the contrary he/she should try, if necessary deliberately, to be democratic in attitude as well as in practice. The learner deserves to be treated as a subject rather than an object, and needs encouragement, too. To mark out the errors is not enough, it is even more necessary to appreciate the positive qualities in a student’s work.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 02:00:32 PM »

A teacher has to have patience. No teacher can be a good teacher until and unless he or she has got patience and tolerance in dealing with students. In DIU in every semester, i have more than 200 students. Many a time, i tend to lose my temperament but again i try to control and compose myself.

what's more, good teaching is about caring, nurturing, and developing minds and talents. It's about devoting time, often invisible, to every student. It's also about the thankless hours of grading, designing or redesigning courses, and preparing materials to still further enhance instruction. 

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 02:15:06 PM »
A good teacher knows how to make each of his or her class different. A good lesson plan helps him/ her to do so. A good teacher is a facilitator. But s/he knows how to manage students efficiently. For example: i proposed a date of quiz to  my students today but all of them declined. But when i clarified the reason, they understood and agreed. Another thing is that we should NOT be too flexible neither should we be too strict. We should not dominate them neither should we listen to their undue requests anyway. We should be more than moderate.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 04:23:34 PM by shibli »

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 03:23:51 PM »
We, the teachers (as some of us do), may instruct some basic concepts of a course to our students and set questions as such and give them good grades but for the greater benefits of them, we should finish the whole syllabus meant for the course. For example: in an interview, a student was asked "what is you-view point in Business Communication?" He couldn't reply. So, the responsibility goes to the instructor. Under no circumstances should we ill-empower our students....

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 11:47:43 AM »
Dear Shibli Sir,

Your comments reminded me those famous lines, "Grontho goto biddya ar poro hoste dhon,nohe biddya,nohe dhon,hole proyojon".

Yes,you are 100% right,if as teachers we are unable to help our students connecting their course ideas with real practical world and if they are not taught to study on their own,they will definitely fail to cope up with today's world.So,as teachers it is our responsibility to make our students independent.To do so,we may set tasks or assignments where they can explore their texts.You might remember one of my write-ups published in Star Campus on 'Service Learning'.That technique has also addressed such connection.

Shamsi

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 06:04:25 PM »
Shamsi Ma'am,

I personally know you are one of the best teachers at DIU. I really liked your article on Reflecting Teaching. You also take part a lot in extra curricular activties of DIU on regular basis. Keep up all your efforts.

With all the best wishes.

Warmly,

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2010, 11:04:32 AM »
Its my pleasure sir that you have liked my article.You know,the way you are always trying to help out our students in developing their English is really praiseworthy.I think,it is also a contribution towards the country.

I wish you a very successful journey as a teacher.

Shamsi

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 05:54:16 PM »
What makes a good teacher? A graduate-school degree? A high CGPA? An extroverted personality? Confidence? Passing the teacher-certification exam on the first try? Bill Gates announced that his foundation was investing millions to improve teaching quality in US but he couldn't help add: "Unfortunately, it seems the field doesn't have a clear view of what characterises good teaching," Gates said. "I'm personally very curious."

A bangla saying highlights on how teachers come right after parents when celebrating the students success. So then why does the average child in Bangladesh have to drag a bag double his/ her bodyweight all the way to school to her private tutors home to the coaching centre and back home almost every day? The failure of the teacher's teaching methods within the classroom is never a point of discussion as much as the hair-pulling worry over how much money will be spent over junior's third new mathematics tutor.

The solution, as infested through articles published in Newsweek,
states that the key to improving education is in keeping good teachers and firing the bad ones. In the article "Why we must fire bad teachers?" Writers Evan Thomas and Pat Wingert says: "What really makes a difference, what matters more than the class size or the textbook, the teaching method or the technology is the quality of the teacher […] The best way to deal with underperforming teachers is to fire them."

That in itself isn't really the easiest of solutions. For starters it is time consuming to find a proper replacement, there is also a loss of finance added with time, and readjusting the whole situation is a frustrating process. A bill had been passed for firing underperforming teachers in New York City, where Chancellor Joel Klein invested $1 million a year to attorneys with this sole task. "In the two years the project has gone on so far, the city only fired three teachers charged with incompetence," (Newsweek) That only meant more money down the drain. We can't even imagine spending more money for firing teachers considering how we can't even pay their salaries a from time to time.

In Bangladesh teaching has also become a business where the size of your coaching centre determines the size of your wallet, the number of students that plan to oil up the teacher with compliments determines the score on their grade sheets and quoting the teacher or memorising their lecture assures brainless efforts to doing well. This doesn't apply to all educational institutions, but a general trend in "memorising" for learning is still an encouraged classroom habit almost everywhere.

Teachers, they say, need to have that third eye in the back of their heads and not only to send more students into detention, but also to be able to understand them individually. A good teacher must be patient with the students and is able to scale up and down with the variation of IQs sitting around, most of whom are fervently waiting to get out of class. A mere reason why most students admire English teachers and anthropologists is because both understand the complications of human attention span! Also they acknowledge whole heartedly that no two people are alike and more importantly there is no right and wrong - no "one" individual is better than the "other."

We spend a huge chunk of our time within a classroom and a great deal of our construction of the world around us is based on the teacher's own model of our surroundings. If we then rely on underperforming teachers, who either fail to pass down knowledge or later drag you to extra hours in coaching centres, to show us the way forward, we are bound to sit back and watch the nation produce a larger backdated and overworked population.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 01:05:13 PM »
A good teacher knows how to mange his or her students and the class.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 01:22:15 PM by shibli »

Offline faizun

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 10:50:44 AM »
A teacher can motivate a student. As  students they may occur many mistakes, not only regarding study. As their mentors, we should make an enviroment,which will show them right path when they feel that they did mistakes and they need help to get out of those mistakes.

Many students cannot share their mistakes and ask for help to their families. I think an educational institution is the second home for any student. So in an institution there must be an enviroment, formed by the faculty members and the other students, which will ensure them a second home which always think of their success.

When students realise that we teacheer present here for their good will, I think they will pay more attention to their duties and they will be more cooperative with teachers in classrooms.

Faizun Nesa
Senior Lecturer of Physics,
Department of Natural Science, FSIT,
Daffodil International University

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 02:54:21 PM »
A good teacher knows how to make each of his or her classes different from the other. One class should be different from the other in both value and content.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:03:20 PM by shibli »

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 03:39:44 PM »
A good teacher is a leader in the class. He or she should not let students decide on everything. Instead, in many times s/he should take the lead.

A good teacher should know how to control the students, at the same time s/he should act as a facilitator by empowering themselves on how to do things on their own.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 10:26:53 AM »
A good teacher is someone who is always ready to help out his/her students.A good teacher imprints a sense of security on students' minds.Students who are to stay far away from their parents because of their higher education,should have the feeling that there is my teacher with whom I can share anything that troubles me...