Bengal Under the Pala Rule

Author Topic: Bengal Under the Pala Rule  (Read 7001 times)

Offline Dr. Md. Harun-or Rashid

• View Profile
Bengal Under the Pala Rule
« on: May 29, 2012, 08:44:48 AM »
Bengal under Pala Dynasty
(A short account on Pala ruler of ancient Bengal)

The Pala Empire is one of the important part of ancient Bengal. They ruled Bengal and Bihar for about four centuries from the middle of 8th century AD. Gopala is the founder of Pala dynasty.
The Pala Kings:
•   Gopala I (756 - 781)
•   Dharmapala (781 - 821)
•   Devapala (821 - 861)
•    Mahendrapala, Shurapala-I, Vigrahapala-I (861-866)
•   Narayanapala (866 - 920)
•   Rajyapala (920 - 952)
•   Gopala II (952 - 969)
•   Vigrahapala II (969 - 995)
•   Mahipala I (995 - 1043)
•   Nayapala (1043–1058)
•   Vigrahapala III (1058–1075)
•   Mahipala II (1075–1080)
•   Shurapala II (1080–1082)
•   Ramapala (1082–1124)
•   Kumarapala (1124–1129)
•   Gopala III (1129–1143)
•   Madanapala (1143–1162)
•   Govindapala (1162–1174)
Gopala is said to have been elected by local people who wanted him to bring an end to the disorder in Bengal. During his rule of about 25 years (756 – 781 AD) he ended the matsanyayam. He annexed almost the whole area of north and east Bengal, though south-east Bengal remained outside his control.

Dharmapala
Dharmapala (781-821 AD) is the second ruler of the Pala Dynasty of Bengal. He extended his kingdom from Bengal to Bihar. Dharmapala also extended his influence to north Indian region of Kanauj.
Dharmapala was a Buddhist. He is credited with the foundation of the ‘Vikramshila’ monastery, which was one of the most important Buddhist seats of learning in India from the 9th to the 12th centuries AD. Somapura Mahavihara at Paharpur was also a creation of Dharmapala. He followed a policy of religious toleration and mutual co-existence of different religions. Their religious policy was one the glorious legacies of Pala rule in Bengal.

Devapala
The third ruler of the Pala Dynasty was Devapala (821-861 AD). He is the son of Dharmapala. He had a long reign and he proved to be a worthy successor of Dharmapala. He conquered a large area of northern India as well as Orissa and Kamarupa.
Devapala was a devout Buddhist and a great patron of the religion. He is the founder of famous Buddhist seat of learning at Nalanda. He had a friendly relationship with the rulers of Buddhist kingdoms of South East Asia like Java.

Other Pala kings
The period of Pala dominance came to an end with the death of Devapala in 861 AD. The later kings were weak and often fought amongst each other for the right to succeed. For the next hundred years, the Pala Empire shrank in the face of foreign attacks, particularly by Chandela and Kalchuri kings.
The reign of Mahipala-I (995-1043 AD) brought back vitality and vigour. Mahipala-I gave a second lease of life to the Pala Empire. He succeeded in recapturing lost territories in northern and western Bengal and restored Pala dynastic rule. Mahipala-I captured a place in popular imagination by his public welfare works.
After the death of Mahipala-I the Pala Empire once again began to decline. Foreign invasions led to the breaking up of the empire into small pieces. There was also internal instability like the ‘Kaivarta’ Rebellion in north Bengal.
Ramapala (1082-1124 AD) succeeded the dynasty by recapturing northern Bengal. He extended his empire towards Orissa, Kamarupa and Madhyadesha of northern India.He tried to establish peace and discipline in Bengal and built new capital at Ramavati which is situated at Maldah. 

Pala Architecture & achievements
The brightest aspect of Pala glories was manifest in the field of different arts. Distinctive achievements are seen in the arts of architecture, terracotta, sculpture and painting. The ‘Somapura Mahavihara’ at Paharpur, a creation of Dhamapala, proudly announces the excellence of the architectural art achieved in the Pala period. It is the largest Buddhist ‘Vihara’ in the Indian subcontinent and the plan of its central shrine was evolved in Bengal.   UNESCO made it World Heritage Site in 1985. Its architectural plan had influenced the architecture of the neighbouring countries like Myanmar and Indonesia. A few Buddhist buildings in these countries, built in the 13th and 14th centuries, seem to have followed the Paharpur example.
The terracotta plaques recovered from Paharpur amply demonstrate the excellence of the art in the Pala period. These plaques have been recognised as unique creation of the Bengal artists. Specimens of Pala architecture are scattered over Bengal and Bihar. Dharmapala built the ‘Vikramasila Mahavihara’ at Patharghata in Bhagalpur district of Bihar and ‘Odantpur Vihara’ in Bihar.

Somapura Vihara and Vikramasila Vihara were acknowledged in the Buddhist world. These were two important learning centres in the period between 9th and 12th centuries AD.
Under the patronage of the Pala rulers many scholars came to these centres from far and wide. The Kings granted land and other supports for the upkeepment of the established for the scholars of said Viharas. The Buddhist Viharas in the Pala Empire played a significant role in the propagation of Buddhism in the neighbouring countries of Nepal, Tibet and Sri Lanka. Buddhist Pundits of Bengal contributed to the spread of Buddhist culture; among them the name of ‘Atish Dipankar’ stands out most prominently.

Atish Dipankar

Srijnan Atish Dipankar (980-1053) was the great ancient Buddhist scholar, religious preceptor and philosopher of Bengal. He was born at Munshiganj, Bangladesh and dedicated his life for the purpose of spreading education, serving humanity and preaching social reforms in the 10th century A.D. In the pursuit of knowledge he travelled as far as China and became a legendary figure for his spiritual attainment and devotion to the teachings of Gautama, the founder of Buddhism. Atish was a writer of more than one hundred books on Buddhism and other branches of knowledge. Atish Dipankar has been regarded as one of the worthy sons of Bangladesh.

(For further online support on this topic visit: http://www.banglapedia.org/httpdocs/HT/P_0037.HTM)
[/color]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 11:54:53 AM by Dr. Md. Harun-or Rashid »
(Dr. Md. Harun-or Rashid)
Deputy Registrar
Daffodil International University
Phone: 01713493072