• Show picture of Chrissie on the whiteboard together with pictures representing her life story
• Students in pairs or groups look at the pictures and talk about what they think happened in her life.
• Give matching task: Ss match beginnings and ends of sentences and put them in order to make her life story.
• Show correct version on IWB. Ss check theirs against that.
• Give Ss time to read and understand the text. They might want to read the text aloud to each other.
Then you can do one or more of the following:
• They can play pelmanism (matching pairs memory game): lay out the cards randomly on the table (this works best if the beginnings are all in one colour, and the ends in another). Each student takes it in turn to pick one beginning and one end. If they are a pair the student keeps the pair. If not (s)he puts them back in the same place as they were. The student with the most pairs is the winner.
• They turn over the beginnings of all the sentences, and in their groups retell the story from the ends of the sentences.
• Then they turn over the beginnings and do the same again.
Finally give them only the beginnings of the sentences and they use them to tell their partner their own life story.
The following day for a warmer you can give them only the beginnings (or show only the beginnings on IWB), and they use them to retell Chrissie’s and/or their own life story in pairs.
You can also show them the pictures, and get them to retell Chrissie’s life story from the pictures.
NB: for this activity to work it is important that the students can apply the sentence beginnings to their own experience.