DAFFODIL BLOOMS LIKE A DAFFODIL

Author Topic: DAFFODIL BLOOMS LIKE A DAFFODIL  (Read 6276 times)

Offline Shamim Ansary

• Change Yourself, the whole will be changed
    • View Profile
DAFFODIL BLOOMS LIKE A DAFFODIL
« on: July 01, 2010, 01:19:41 PM »
Daffodils, the flowers symbolising friendship, are one of the most popular flowers exclusively due to their unmatched beauty. Daffodils belong to the genus Narcissus. Daffodil flowers have a trumpet-shaped structure set against a star-shaped background.

Often the trumpet is in a contrasting color from the background. The name Daffodils includes the cluster-flowered yellow Jonquils and the White Narcissi , as well as the include as the more common trumpet shaped flowers (right), members of the genus Narcissus.

Kingdom: Plantae
Division: Magnoliophyta
Class: Lilliopsida
Order: Liliales
Family: Amaryllidaceae
Genus: Narcissus

Daffodils are constantly recurring flowers with at least 50 species and many hybrids. Where climate is moderate, Daffodils flourish among the first spring buds. Daffodils often bloom in clusters.

Daffodils are native mainly to the Mediterranean region, in particular to the Iberian Peninsula, as well as Northern Africa and the Middle East.

In addition to the species, the Daffodil Data Bank lists over 13,000 hybrids. Generally Daffodils are yellow, and range from yellow-and-white, yellow-and-orange, white-and-orange, pink, and lime-green.

All Daffodils have a corona in the center that looks like a trumpet, and a ring of petals all around. The natural Daffodil is golden yellow color all over, while the trumpet may often appear in a contrasting color.

The paper-white Daffodils could be planted in gardens that are outdoor. But they could grow in indoor gardens during Christmas.

Miniature Daffodils

Daffodils come in all sizes, from 5-inch blooms on 2-foot stems to half-inch flowers on 2-inch stems. Largely for show purposes, but also for guidance in gardening, certain species and named cultivars have been determined by the American Daffodil Society to be miniatures and must compete by themselves in Daffodil shows.

Difference Between Daffodils and Narcissus

There is literally no difference between Daffodils and Narcissus. The two words are synonymous. Narcissus is the Latin or botanical name for the commonly called daffodils. Daffodil is the common name for all members of the genus Narcissus.

Facts About Daffodils

The garden Daffodil's ancestors come from the states around the Mediterranean Sea, such as Spain and Portugal, and the Middle East, such as Turkey. The earliest record mentioned about Daffodils was around two or three hundred years BC.
Grown extensively by the ancient Greeks and especially by the Romans, Daffodils nevertheless became a forgotten flower until about 1600, and even in 1860 there were fewer than 350 cultivated hybrids.
Around 1629, a group of Englishmen took the Daffodil out of the weeds and put it into the garden. Daffodils were in favor again.
During the days of the American experience and the expansion west, Daffodils were well established as a "must have" in the garden.
Daffodils were brought to Britain by the Romans who thought that the sap from Daffodils had healing powers. Actually the sap contains crystals that can irritate the skin.

Growing Daffodils

Daffodils grow perennially from bulbs. In temperate climates they flower among the earliest blooms in spring. Daffodils often grow in large clusters, covering lawns and even entire hillsides with yellow.

Depth, as a general rule, needs to be thrice the height. This means large bulbs should have depth of 6 to 8 inches, medium size 3-6 inches and smaller size 2-3 inches. Always remember that the load of soil prove helpful to protect the bulbs from breaking too easily and keep them upright for a longer duration.

If this fact is ignored and enough depth is not given then the Daffodil will bend down very soon. Though Daffodil blooms will come in bigger clumps, the bulbs and flowers will be scant. Steps to grow Daffodils.

Choose a well-drained, sunny place, with slightly acidic soil.
Plant your Daffodils so that their top (pointed end) is at least two times as deep as the bulb is high (top of a 2" bulb is 4" deep).
Plant bulbs deeper in sandy soil than in clay.
High-nitrogen fertilizer should be avoided.
Daffodils need lots of water while they are growing.
After blooming, never cut the foliage until it begins to yellow (usually late May or June).
Then is the time to dig them. Wash the bulbs thoroughly and let them dry completely (at least a week).
Put them in onion sacks (or panty hose) and hang them in the coolest place you can find until ready to plant. Good air circulation will keep storage rot at a minimum.

Daffodil Plant Care

>> Like most perennials, Daffodil will do well with about 1 inch of water per week while they are actively growing and blooming - from March to May.
>> Mulch can be tremendously helpful for Daffodils in conserving moisture.
>> The best thing you can do for your Daffodil bulbs is to provide them rich, well-drained soil with lots of organic matter in it.
>> Most organic bulb fertilizers can be placed right into the planting hole because they're very gentle and nonburning.
>> Since Daffodil is a perennial, every 5 to 10 years, divide the clumps of bulbs in early summer.

***Did you know? The earliest known reference to Daffodils can be found in the 6th century A.D. writings of Prophet Mohammed.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 01:41:56 PM by Shamim Ansary »
"Many thanks to Allah who gave us life after having given us death and (our) final return (on the Day of Qiyaamah (Judgement)) is to Him"

Offline kulsum

• View Profile
Re: DAFFODIL BLOOMS LIKE A DAFFODIL
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 01:39:46 PM »
Ansari,

It's a research almost,!!! :) good to know and thanks for your endeavour.

Offline Shamim Ansary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 01:57:44 PM »
Daffodils
William Wordsworth

I wander'd lonely as as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils,
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretch'd in never-ending line
Along the margin of the bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Outdid the sparkling waves in glee: --
A poet could not but be gay
In such a jocund company!
I gazed, and gazed, but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought.

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 04:36:42 PM by Shamim Ansary »
"Many thanks to Allah who gave us life after having given us death and (our) final return (on the Day of Qiyaamah (Judgement)) is to Him"

Offline Shamim Ansary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 02:00:58 PM »
To Daffodils
Robert Herrick

Fair daffodils, we weep to see
You haste away so soon;
As yet the early-rising sun
Has not attain'd his noon.
Stay, stay
Until the hasting day
Has run
But to the evensong,
And, having pray'd together, we   
Will go with you along.

We have short time to stay, as you,
We have as short a spring;
As quick a growth to meet decay,
As you, or anything.
We die,
As your hours [do,] and dry
Away,
Like to the summer's rain,
Or as the pearls of morning's dew,
Ne'er to be found again.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 02:06:19 PM by Shamim Ansary »

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 02:55:51 PM »
There is a similarity between the life of Daffodils and that of ours. Both are destined to wither away quickly like the summer's rain and the pearls of morning's dew. But Daffodil International University will live as long as Bangladesh is there in the world map insAllah . Long live DIU!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 03:17:23 PM by shibli »
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Sonnet 14 from Sonnets from the Portuguese

Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1850)

If thou must love me, let it be for nought

Except for love’s sake only. Do not say

“I love her for her smile—her look—her way

Of speaking gently,—for a trick of thought

That falls in well with mine, and certes brought

A sense of pleasant ease on such a day”—

For these things in themselves, Belovèd, may

Be changed, or change for thee,—and love, so wrought,

May be unwrought so. Neither love me for

Thine own dear pity’s wiping my cheeks dry,—

A creature might forget to weep, who bore

Thy comfort long, and lose thy love thereby!

But love me for love’s sake, that evermore

Thou may’st love on, through love’s eternity.

Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline bidita

• Life does not get easier, you just get stronger.
    • View Profile
    • biditarahman
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 06:28:24 PM »

Flowers are shining of your face....Decorate of your life...express of your feelings....take a deep breath and Feel the life...
Daffodil is a flower so smell it  and  learn of it how to give a good smell to others..........
Bidita Rahman :)
Id: 092-11-956
23rd batch
Department of Business Administration
School of Business
Daffodil International University
latifa@diu.edu.bd

Offline Shamim Ansary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 10:04:46 PM »
Good going Bidita. Carry on.. Invites your DIU friends too

Offline BRE SALAM SONY

• Alhamdulliha Allah Can makes Me A Muslim
    • View Profile
    • Special Discount For hajj and Umrah Guest
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 01:02:46 PM »
tHATS A VERY ENJOYED IDEA ON OUR DAFFODIL NAMES.
REALLY ALL OF INFORMATION IS INSPIRE  TO KNOW OUR UNIVERSITY BRAND NAME IN VARIOUS WAY.
THANKS
BIDITA GIVE A FLOWER IDEA.
আল্লাহর রহমতে প্রতি বছর হজে যাওয়ার সুযোগ হচ্ছে।এভাবেই হাজীদের খেদমত করে যেতে চাই।

আমার প্রতিষ্ঠান www.zilhajjgroup.com
www.corporatetourbd.com

Offline rumman

• DIU is the best
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 04:55:18 PM »
All of us heard the name of Daffodil flowers and its fragrant and characteristics. That’s why our honorable Chairman Sir choose it as a brand name. And we can easily realize it. I am very much delighted to be a member of daffodil International University.  Wish our University will live long. 
Md. Abdur Rumman Khan
Senior Assistant Registrar

Offline ashiqbest012

• I love my University
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 05:48:09 PM »
Wow...Thank You Mr. Shamim Ansary sir, shibli sir  and Bidita.

I think it is the greatest post in the DIU forum history. It is true that our university blooms like Daffodil flower.
Name: Ashiq Hossain
ID: 121-14-696 & 083-11-558
Faculty of Business & Economics
Cell:01674-566806

Offline papelrezwan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 06:19:32 PM »
It is nothing but a excellent post. Really...... outstanding.......
Md. Rezwanur Rahman
MBA, BBA,
Student Counselor,
Executive Member, DIUAA
Cell: 01713493051, 01717352538
E-mail: rezwan@daffodilvarsity.edu.bd

Offline Shamim Ansary

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »
When a student enter Daffodil Varsity as a beginner, s/he is like the bud of daffodil flower.

After proper nourishment and fostering by the authority & teachers, s/he turns to be a full bloomed daffodil flower and spread his/her fragrance all around...

Offline bidita

• Life does not get easier, you just get stronger.
    • View Profile
    • biditarahman
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 06:37:57 PM »
When we finished our academic study then We will be a complete basket of flowers.......

Thank you all for supporting me....
Bidita Rahman :)
Id: 092-11-956
23rd batch
Department of Business Administration
School of Business
latifa@diu.edu.bd