The People of the State of Colorado VS Thomas Lee Johnson

Author Topic: The People of the State of Colorado VS Thomas Lee Johnson  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Mahmud Arif

• View Profile
Texas v. Johnson (Extent of the freedom of speech)

The 1984 Republican National Convention was held in Dallas, Texas. During the convention Gregory Lee Johnson and a group of political activists marched through the streets protesting. When the demonstrators reached Dallas City Hall, Johnson poured kerosene on an American flag and burned it. Johnson was arrested and convicted under a Texas state law. In an appeal, Johnson argued that burning the American flag was symbolic speech and protected by the First Amendment. The Texas appeals court agreed and overturned his conviction. Unsatisfied with the decision, the state of Texas, appealed the ruling to the United States Supreme Court.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a 5-4 decision in favor of Johnson. The high court agreed that symbolic speech – no matter how offensive to some – is protected under the First Amendment.

The majority of the Court, according to Justice William Brennan, agreed with Johnson and held that flag burning constitutes a form of "symbolic speech" that is protected by the First Amendment. The majority noted that freedom of speech protects actions that society may find very offensive, but society's outrage alone is not justification for suppressing free speech.

In particular, the majority noted that the Texas law discriminated upon viewpoint, i.e., although the law punished actions, such as flag burning, that might arouse anger in others, it specifically exempted from prosecution actions that were respectful of venerated objects, e.g., burning and burying a worn-out flag. The majority said that the government could not discriminate in this manner based solely upon viewpoint.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:44:57 PM by Mahmud Arif »
Arif Mahmud
Lecturer
Department of Law
Daffodil International University
Email: arifmahmud.law@diu.edu.bd

Offline Johir Uddin

• Test
    • View Profile
Re: The People of the State of Colorado VS Thomas Lee Johnson
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 03:04:50 AM »
Flag burning as symbolic speech is protected by the First Amendment to the US Constitution. This judgment reminds me of 'another judgment' which I studied when I was a student of Comparative Constitutional Law. I further search and find that the judgment you shared is the same judgment I studied. Probably you have mistakenly named the Case. It should be Texas v. Johnson. This Johnson is not Thomas Lee Johnson, rather Gregory Lee Johnson. You rightly mentioned it in the body. What a coincidence!

I usually use the following website for US cases. It might help you as well. Here the case summary is short but succinct. The link to the case is: https://www.oyez.org/cases/1988/88-155
Md. Johir Uddin Shohag
Lecturer
Department of Law

Offline Mahmud Arif

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 02:48:18 PM »
Thank you for your comment Mr. Johir. I have corrected the case name.
Arif Mahmud
Lecturer
Department of Law
Email: arifmahmud.law@diu.edu.bd

Offline Johir Uddin

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 08:51:19 PM »
 :)
Md. Johir Uddin Shohag