Classroom: Far beyond a time of Jadov Babu to Dijuce!

Author Topic: Classroom: Far beyond a time of Jadov Babu to Dijuce!  (Read 12475 times)

Offline raju

• Faculty
    • View Profile
Classroom: Far beyond a time of Jadov Babu to Dijuce!
« on: May 07, 2010, 08:11:13 AM »
Many of us are prepared for yesterday's students. The truth is that college/university teacher training has been stuck in the country so far. Content have remained the central focus of teacher preparation, while students' behavioral and emotional problems became the central focus of the classroom. Contemporary teacher training needs to achieve today's teachers yesterday's tools, leaving even the most talented educator sometimes feeling ill-prepared to cope with students this days who have moved far beyond a time of Jadov Babu to DJ and dijuce culture.

May be it’s crucial to recognize situation now and considering all concerns at this point, in an ideal world, teacher training programs needs to cover beyond content and testing. Few critical things that teachers are never taught but may really need right now:

Basic Mental Health:
More and more students have serious mental health concerns yet most teachers don't know a conduct disorder from an attachment disorder. That's like not knowing the difference between arithmetic and spelling. When teachers don't know basic mental health information, it creates the perfect conditions for safety concerns to simmer and boil throughout the classroom. Teachers can help young people to cope with stress and dealing with diverse transitional effects.

Real-World Violence and Safety:
Students are more out of control than ever before in many ways and lot of things can pose enormous potential safety concerns yet few teacher training programs devote extensive course work to practical, preventative methods.

Re-covering basic Skills:
Years ago, families reliably taught their children to show respect, arrive on time, dress appropriately, and to have an appreciation for the importance of school. Now, many families cannot or will not instill those beliefs and teach those skills. If families do not teach kids how to be students, then schools must perform this function. Until then, teachers are working with untrained, unmotivated students. Teachers need to be taught how to systematically train youngsters on all aspects of school functioning from punctuality to homework management, from how to raise their hands to how often to talk in class, and so on. Motivation should be given special attention, but typical contemporary teacher training includes almost no practical focus on that today. Unfortunately Universities are receiving those products (Students) with a difficult condition when hard to teach them from all perspectives. At this point University teachers needs to take the situation in consideration positively rather than blaming society.

Coping Skills and psychosocial support:
Because families are more likely today than years ago to be fractured, abusive, troubled and otherwise impaired, teachers need to know how to manage the problems that result when family problems come to classroom with students. A special focus should be given to what methods work with dropout, depressed and students in crisis.

Social Skills:
If a student can't sit in a chair, talk one at a time, or keep his hands to himself, it makes it almost impossible to teach that student academic content. Yet today's teachers see dozens of socially maladjusted students each day. If parents cannot or will not train their offspring to have basic social skills, teachers must pick up the slack. A student who can sit in his chair, talk one at a time, and keep his hands to himself, is far more likely to be a teachable student. There are no shortcuts around the serious social skill deficiencies that educators cope with today.

With this background and understanding can we make a history in Bangladesh by keeping DIU faculty members developmental all the way?

Let’s join CDC resource team if anyone really interested to be a teacher’s for tomorrow’s student!

Regards,

Raju

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:16:52 AM by raju »
Syed Mizanur Rahman
Head, General Educational Development &
Director of Students' Affairs, DIU

Offline kulsum

• View Profile
Re: Classroom: Far beyond a time of Jadov Babu to Dijuce!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 12:11:15 PM »
Dear Sir,

It's been a feeling like "amaroto chilo mone, parilo she kamone ta janitey" while reading the article.Everyone should read it if we really do mean a class.

Appreciate you once again!

Offline Shamim Ansary

• Change Yourself, the whole will be changed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 12:42:08 PM »
Very Good post, sir
"Many thanks to Allah who gave us life after having given us death and (our) final return (on the Day of Qiyaamah (Judgement)) is to Him"

Offline raju

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 01:00:30 PM »
welcome and please ask people to join the team.

Regards,

Syed Mizanur Rahman

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 02:21:30 PM »

I agree with Raju sir that we have a scope to work for the students' problems relating to family issues, financial crisis, addiction problem, behavioral or attitude problems, non verbal communication problems and even their very own personal problems. In foreign universities, there is a separate section or division or counselor for that.

I think, the problems that are addressed here can be dealt with an advising/counseling section within the university supervised by the CDC that will listen to students' problems and give them highest possible solutions and make them fit for jobs and help them become good human beings. 

But i also feel that class room learning should be syllabus-based n lesson-plan based and should NOT be always instructing about behavior, etiquette, ethics and human development. This should be totally a different course.

I undertook a degree training program namely International Diploma in Teaching and Training from the UK in which our instructors showed how a class can be useless if a teacher doesn't have proper lesson-plan. Some of us even may instruct irrelevant issues, that are not meant for a particular course. We should also know how to evaluate students objectively. Many of us go for subjective evaluation. Here lies the importance of training.

More when i will write next

Warmly,

Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 03:07:36 PM »
This write-up by Raju sir has really adressed  something very crucial.Sometimes, I also find a number of students not to have proper concentration in class. I don't know to what extent I am a 'teacher for tomorrow’s student',but I always try to notice every single discrepancy among my students.And I think it is better to find a solution on the spot because with a puzzled mind one can not concentrate on his/her lesson.If it is not possible to find out an immediate solution, a teacher should at least give some feeling of assurance that he/she is there to counsel the student after the class.

I am not against Shibli sir that a different division can be made for student counseling,but at the same time I do believe that we should have some primary counseling in the class.So that the troubled one can also participate immediately.But at the same time,we will have to be careful about the time-management and other students' comfort.And that is possible, only if we have a very clear-cut lesson plan.

Regards

Shamsi
Department of English

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 04:54:35 PM »
Yes i agree that we should counsel the students regarding life skills and other basic skills. But my point was we should focus on students' learning rather on instructing them only. A teacher can keep on speaking or lecturing, but what's the use of instruction if the students don't improve in the real sense. For example: I teach Marketing. I think I will consider myself a successful teacher if i can make all the concepts n practices of marketing ingrained in them. I will consider myself successful if i can make a student quit smoking and eve teasing. Let it not be coming and going to the classroom only.

Also to mention, to uphold the quality, i think teachers who teach the same courses should sit together, develop materials, teach same chapters or syllabuses and prepare the same question paper of a particular course. This will put the teacher to develop and to maintain quality. I wonder how many of us reflect on teaching.  
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:04:13 PM by shibli »
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline kazi shahin

• Fear is not real
    • View Profile
    • Personal website of kazi shahin
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 05:11:34 PM »
I am very pleased & happy to read this article. Ultimately we have some teacher who does not belief only on our course. Yes, Academic syllabus does not mean all of education.  Shibli sir mentioned a very true fact about the class. I want to add their, lack of time. We have a long course but short time. Teacher always busy to full-fill the course in time. So, the students only run with the teacher. If sometimes there are any problem with attitude, behavior, culture overall norms, the student become colored. He comes to hear the bad sound about his/her past institution, family & all background.
I have attained a mock viva organized by CDC. There were multi student from various department.  I request to my very favorite Raju sir, to share his experience about our viva. All will be more shocked.
I can share my personal experience. I didn't have confidence. Lack of English, I don't know how to talk, how to respect & what is politeness. How I get permitted to enter the room & also how I leave the room.
Kazi Shahin                   
092-15-795
Department of CSE   
Cell : 01718 699 590
Blood Group: O+
Google + :  https://plus.google.com/u/0/101741817431143727344/about?hl=en
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/kazishahin.rahman
Web : http://www.kazishahin.com/

Offline raju

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 05:31:22 PM »
Dear All,

I am delighted by reading conversations here. Hope we will be able to be developmental all the way keeping respect on continuous growth.

Let’s encourage others to join the discussion for growing together!

Cheers,

Raju

Syed Mizanur Rahman

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 07:14:53 PM »
Students should read their text books thoroughly. Nothing can help more than their textbooks. I think teachers should encourage students to go through their text books at home. "We should come out of producing answers only from notes and handouts. Reading habit must be encouraged." Masud Ibn Rahman. The reading skill of our students is very poor. So i think self-study must be encouraged
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:20:44 PM by shibli »

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »

I do also agree with Shibli sir and Masud sir  that students should go through their text books. Because, by reading out text books they can have a thorough knowledge about the respective courses.It also increases their habit of reading which is very important to brush up their English.Here the teachers can play a vital role implementing some systems,like they may ask their students to read out certain pages from their text books before attending class.Then they can begin the class asking a few questions on that reading task.In this way, they can make the class more interactive.It will also create a sense of competition among the students and gradually they will begin to have better preparation to impress the teacher.The teacher can also arrange some token gifts to encourage the students...

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 08:33:37 PM »
I think a good teacher should know the difference between subjective evaluation and objective evaluation? No doubt, students' evaluation is part and parcel of a teacher's responsibility. But many of us judge the students subjectively. What does subjective evaluation or judgment mean?

It means you're not looking at the facts objectively. You're not being empirical and deciding what is in fact the truth through hard evidence. You are looking at a topic and deciding based on emotional views and preconceived ideas and your own hidden agenda.

Being objective means you're THINKING, being subjective means you're just rearranging your prejudices, which is what most people do.

Over to all for comments!

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
An assignement submitted by one of my students
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 11:45:44 AM »
1. What  is human life? What are its missions and visions?

Ans: A ship which runs towards unseen future in a big sea human life just like that. But human life has a finishing line (like death).
The mission of human life that is to survive in the world as much as possible with his planning. The vision of human life that is makes the planning successfully.

2. How would you define commonsense?
Ans: Commonsense is a sense which is common to all. It is a basic criteria of a person. Without commonsense one can be a laughing person in our society.

3. Why is commonsense essential in our life?
Ans: commonsense is the preliminary element of an adoption process. So commonsense makes a man perfect in his behavior.

4. How would you define happiness? How to be happy?
Ans: Happiness is those things which can makes and refresh our mind and heart and removes the mental pressure.
Always taking everything very easily and doing those entire things which can make me happy.

5. Is Co-education desirable? If so why?
Ans: Yes, Co-education is desirable .Because there are many thing which can girls may know from boys and also boys from girls.
Co-education makes competition between the boys and girls which is really good for student life and also other sector.

6. Describe the types of people you like and types of people you dislike?
Ans:
Liking People:
1.   Who can disclose himself towards people.
2.   Who always helps others.
3.   Who try to keeps promise to others.
4.   Who does not criticize others.
Disliking People:
1.   Who criticize others.
2.   Selfish persons.
3.   Narrow minded people.
4.   Liar.

7. How do you judge/justify a person? What are the minimum qualities should he/she posses?

Ans: Every man is the creation of God.So every man has a good or bad quality. But there are a some qualities which can make civilized person.
1.   Honesty.
2.   Personality.
3.   Intelligent.
4.   A sense of humor/Commonsense.

8. Do you think people who have a vast property and money are happy? What do you think of that?    

Ans: No, money/property can’t be making happy a person. But money is essential for surviving in the world. If we have good thinking, personality, honesty with money then money can make happy a person in this world.

9. What are the objectives of education?
Ans: “Education is the backbone of a nation” so from this proverb we can understand easily that what are objective of education.
Education makes a man perfect and separate from everybody.

10. Do you think education is more important than money? Describe how?
Ans: Yes, education is more important than money. Because money can be stolen and finished after some times. But what we learn from education this will not steal or finished for whole life. Educated person can make money by his education.

11. Who are truly educated and who are not?
Ans: A truly educated person must have good qualities like that-
A.   Who mixes with every level of people.
B.   Who does not feel proud.
C.   Who doesn’t find any difference between lower class people and higher class people.
D.   Who encourage the people.
Who are not truly educated that is- vice-versa of above characteristics.

12. What is snobbery? Do you like it to some extent/hate it?
Ans: Snobbery means flattering towards the rich people and neglecting the poor and weak people. I don’t like it.

13. Upon what does person’s dignity/self-respect/self-esteem depend? Why is begging so disreputable?

Ans: A person's dignity, self-respect is depending on his confidence and nobility and excellency. Begging is disreputable because it doesn’t bear anything for the society.It is also cured for our society.

14. Who is more dignified person in society-a jobless man having 50lakhs taka in a bank or a man doing a respectable job earning 40,000 taka per month. Give reasons to support your answer? (Long/Short term)

Ans: A man doing a respectable job earning 40,000 taka per month is more dignified person and his income is fixed. It is a long term process.

15. What is the most important characteristics (honesty, intelligence, a sense of humor) that a person can have to be successful in life?  

Ans: For intelligence a person can be successful in life. An intelligent person can be safe from danger, can safe problem easily and can think fast.

16. Some people are very snobbish and stubborn of their own traditional beliefs and thoughts while others are liberal. Which of these types of people you like?

Ans: I like liberal person .Because they are not stagnant in their traditional belief and don’t takes wrong decision. Liberal persons are always liberal to all.  
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 01:15:28 PM by shibli »

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 11:04:16 AM »
I think being professional also means being objective...

Shamsi

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 11:19:22 AM »
Dear Shibli Sir

Thank you for sharing your student's assignment with us.I must say that by assigning such questions to our students we can help them to develop their critical thinking skill which is very important in practical life.

I wish you all the best.May you have a very successful career in teaching.

Shamsi