Do you AGREE or DISAGREE?

Author Topic: Do you AGREE or DISAGREE?  (Read 5625 times)

Offline Bhowmik

• View Profile
    • http://www.daffodilvarsity.edu.bd/faculty/swapan
Do you AGREE or DISAGREE?
« on: January 29, 2013, 12:45:44 PM »
Dear Students and enthusiasts,
Answer the following question. Everyday you will get a new question to answer.

1) Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
People are never satisfied with what they have; they always want something more or something different. Use specific reasons to support your answer.

Offline Bhowmik

• View Profile
Re: Do you AGREE or DISAGREE?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 10:50:48 AM »
I am giving below a sample argumentative writing for your better understanding. Hopefully, I will get response soon.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Telephones and email have made communication between people less personal.

I completely disagree with the statement that telephone and email have made communication between people less personal. Telephone and email are both important for communication purposes. All over the world everybody depends on telephone and email. Without them you can’t get in touch with people. Most of the offices depend on both of them. Life changes day to day so does the technology. For many reasons I believe telephone and email both are useful.

During the years technology brought significant changes in the everyday life. Telephone is necessary for every day conversation. Before the telephone people used to send letters through the post but it took so much time to reach and sometimes we could get lost of them. Now a days, people using telephone instead of letter because using telephone can save lot of time and you can get immediate response from the other side. At present I am living in USA but my whole family, relatives and friends are in Bangladesh. With telephone I can talk to my family and friends and have fun on the phone. With phone we can send picture, images and videos to our loved ones. In case of emergency telephone is useful to make a call and get help. Without telephone we lost contact to everyone.

Internet is a good way of communication. Through internet you can have the conversation face to face and email is the best way to get in touch with the people all over the world. It is also cheaper. Through email you can send images, photos and videos to your beloved ones. Some companies send information about interviews and offer letters through email. Using email you can read everyday news.

So based on the above all mentioned points telephone and email are both necessary for everyday life.

Offline Bhowmik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 10:53:34 AM »
Do you agree or disagree with the statement that children should begin learning a foreign language as soon as they start school. Use specific reasons and examples to support your position.

Offline shamsi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 04:01:49 PM »
Answer to the statement number 1: I think it is the especiality of human being to explore something new and most of the people are dissatisfied with what they already have.But I think, it is possible to add new things to your life without being dissatisfied with what you have.In fact,the rate of achievement of satisfied people is always higher than that of a dissatisfied one.

Answer to the statement number 2: In the age of internationalism,it is better to know more than one language.And as before puberty,it is easier for children to learn foreign languages, I think it should be started along with the mother tongue.

Thanking you

Shamsi

Offline shipra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 11:23:46 AM »
No-1, it varies person to person, but generally human beings always aspire to achieve more, they are not satisfied ever

Offline R B Habib

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 04:31:42 PM »
I do agree that people want more than they get. It is somewhat natural as well. Else we would not have so many things discovered and invented, if we were happy with what we have.  obsession to achieve more and more and moreer and morest  is problematic, though. Jokes apart, thanks for such thought provoking lovely argument.
Rabeya Binte Habib
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Daffodil Int. University

Offline nirvana

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 02:48:52 PM »
Answer to statement no. 1 :

Man by born possesses an insatiable inquisitiveness which never allows him to rest easy and remain inactive for long. The ever-increasing thirst to explore/discover new & different things is a temptation/appeal which is too difficult for a man to resist. That's why men are never satisfied what they already have and seek new challenges. The aspiration for more or something different thus prevails. However, interestingly, this longing for more or new things dominates one's psyche even when one is satisfied with what one has achieved so far.

Offline nirvana

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 08:09:16 PM »

Answer to statement no. 3

I'd begin by arguing that the beginning of a child's schooling varies from country to country and most importantly the age is found to be wildly variable. So, I think that if one is to determine whether a child should start learning a foreign language right when the child's schooling begins, one needs to take the age of the child under consideration. Therefore, I'd rather disagree with the fact that a child should begin learning a foreign language as soon as they start school as the receptive ability of a child is too amateurish to digest the burden of learning a foreign language so early when the child hasn't even mastered the ABC of his native language.

Offline Shampa Iftakhar

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 10:45:58 AM »
Question 1:

It depends. From my point of view, perfect satisfaction is impossible. Again you should not limit yourself by giving a boundary to your desire, aim or wish( I mean positive thing).

Offline Shampa Iftakhar

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 10:53:42 AM »
Question 2:

Learning a second or a foreign language along with mother language is not compulsory but we can't ignore the demand of the time. Our children are the citizens of this world. They will communicate people from different race, culture and language. So learning foreign language will benefit them.

Offline A.S. Rafi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 12:24:14 PM »
Well, I'd like to respond to the first question from a literary point of view, specifically in Herbertian way. God created man and gave him everything he had to offer. In return, He hopes that man will worship him on his own, but unfortunately all human make mistakes and forget God. Therefore, God gives them restlessness, no matter how much they have, they will never be satisfied until and unless they get back to God and end up worshiping him.
Abu Saleh Md. Rafi
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English.
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Daffodil International University.

Offline Tahsina

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 11:16:01 AM »
Rafi,

Thanks for throwing whole new light to the discussion on the first topic. Interesting!
Like we discuss about Dr. Faustus - how with all the potentials given to him by God, he has been restricted to pursue knowledge 'not permitted'.

Tahsina
Tahsina Yasmin
Associate Professor
Department of English, DIU