Life of Pi

Author Topic: Life of Pi  (Read 4272 times)

Offline jas_fluidm

• Faculty
    • View Profile
Life of Pi
« on: April 19, 2013, 03:41:03 PM »
The number π (/paɪ/) is a mathematical constant that is the ratio of a circle‘s circumference to its diameter, and is approximately equal to 3.14159. It has been represented by the Greek letter “π” since the mid-18th century, though it also sometimes written as pi. π is an irrational number, which means that it cannot be expressed exactly as a ratio of two integers (such as 22/7 or other fractions that are commonly used to approximate π); consequently, its decimal representation never ends and never repeats. Moreover, π is a transcendental number – a number that is not the root of any nonzero polynomial having rational coefficients. The transcendence of π implies that it is impossible to solve the ancient challenge of squaring the circle with a compass and straight-edge. The digits in the decimal representation of π appear to be random, although no proof of this supposed randomness has yet been discovered.

Pi-unrolled-720.gif

Life of Pi is a movie by Ang Lee about the stories of a boy, Piscine, who suffered verbal abuse in school because his name was often taken to be “Pissing”.

In an effort to move beyond this, he makes a huge effort to become known as Pi by going up to the blackboard in every class he attends and explaining the meaning of Pi. This culminates in his final class, Math, where he proceeds to write down from memory the first 10,000 digits of pi spread over 5 blackboards. From then on he is known as Pi.

Why did Ang Lee cast Gerard Depardieu in a bit part in the movie?

Because of piscine on the plane!

Pi is usually recalled as being either 22/7 or 3.14. Various methods have been used to remember more digits.

Cadaeic encompasses the first 7 digits. c=3,a=1 etc

The phrase “How I need a drink,alcoholic, of course. After all those lectures involving radical equations” will get you 15 digits. How=3,I=1,need=4 etc.

March 14th has been known as Pi day. 3-14…

source: http://getaftermath.com/blog/life-of-pi/

Offline murshida

• Test
    • View Profile
Re: Life of Pi
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 01:25:23 PM »
Its an excellent movie....

Offline rakib

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 11:42:52 PM »
i hav heard about the novel a long time ago, though havnt read. bt the movie is awesome. wish to watch it on 3D.
H M Rakib ul Hasan
Lecturer
Dept. of Textile Engineering
Daffodil International University

Offline bushra

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 01:41:25 AM »
I have heard about the novel. Thank you for sharing.
Bushra Hossain
Lecturer, Dept of CSE

Offline A.S. Rafi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 03:12:59 AM »
I have a plan to watch this movie. By any chance, is it still screening on Cineplex ?
Abu Saleh Md. Rafi
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English.
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Daffodil International University.

Offline R B Habib

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 05:54:45 PM »
An excellent movie...I watched it in one go at home although theses days I hardly get such chance.
Rabeya Binte Habib
Senior Lecturer,
Department of English
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Daffodil Int. University

Offline Mohammad Salek Parvez

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »
interesting post.
let us try to make new mathematics which does not contain pi.

Offline jas_fluidm

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 07:06:32 PM »
In the Greek alphabet, π (piwas) is the sixteenth letter. In the English alphabet, p is also the sixteenth letter

Offline jas_fluidm

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 07:09:22 PM »
Pi is the secret code in Alfred Hitchcock’s Torn Curtain and in The Net starring Sandra Bullock

Offline ABM Nazmul Islam

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 06:55:21 PM »
At the beginning, i made a look at your article thinking of it would be regarding on of my favorite movie, life of pi, but, later, I have come to know, it is about, the mathematical zoozoo, pi, and indeed i liked the way you represented it.... thanks......
ABM Nazmul Islam

Lecturer
Dept. of Natural Science
Daffodil Int. University, Dhaka, Bangladesh

Offline ABM Nazmul Islam

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 06:56:36 PM »
At the beginning, i made a look at your article thinking of it would be regarding on of my favorite movie, life of pi, but, later, I have come to know, it is about, the mathematical zoozoo, pi, and indeed i liked the way you represented it.... thanks......
ABM Nazmul Islam

Lecturer
Dept. of Natural Science
Daffodil Int. University, Dhaka, Bangladesh

Offline jas_fluidm

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 04:59:50 PM »
Akira Haraguchi (原口 證 Haraguchi Akira?) (born 1946), a retired Japanese engineer, currently working as a mental health counsellor and business consultant in Mobara City, is known for memorizing and reciting digits of pi.

He set the current world record (100,000 digits) in 16 hours, starting at 9 a.m (16:28 GMT) on October 3, 2006 and having recited up to 83,431 digits by nightfall, stopping with digit number 100,000 at 1:28 a.m. on October 4, 2006. The event was filmed in a public hall in Kisarazu, east of Tokyo, where he had five-minute breaks every two hours to eat onigiri rice balls to keep up his energy levels. Even his trips to the toilet were filmed to prove that the exercise was legitimate. Haraguchi's previous world record (83,431), was performed from July 1, 2005 to July 2, 2005.

Despite Haraguchi's efforts and detailed documentation, the Guinness World Records have not yet accepted any of his records set. The Guinness-recognized record for remembered digits of π is 67,890 digits, held by Lu Chao, a 24-year-old graduate student from China. It took him 24 hours and 4 minutes to recite to the 67,890th decimal place of π without an error.

Haraguchi views the memorization of pi as "the religion of the universe", and as an expression of his lifelong quest for eternal truth.

From Wiki

Offline jas_fluidm

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 05:03:02 PM »
new record claims (not yet confirmed) by Akira Haraguchi (Japan): 83431 on 1 July 2005 and 100,000 on 4 October 2006

Offline habib.cse

• Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 07:32:35 PM »
do you know what is the sleeping period of pi?

Offline jas_fluidm

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 08:12:57 PM »
please explain.