Extra should be considered extra

Author Topic: Extra should be considered extra  (Read 40361 times)

Offline bidita

• Life does not get easier, you just get stronger.
    • View Profile
    • biditarahman
Re: Extra should be considered extra
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2010, 06:52:28 PM »
Respected Shibli sir

Really appreciative post..

vision without action is useless
Bidita Rahman :)
Id: 092-11-956
23rd batch
Department of Business Administration
School of Business
Daffodil International University
latifa@diu.edu.bd

Offline Mostakima Yesmin

• Can I reach the peak at all...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2010, 01:17:20 AM »
"Vision without action is useless" good post........
Mostakima Yesmin Mita
Dept. of CSE
23rd batch
Daffodil International University.
E-mail: mita_17dhk@yahoo.com
            mostakima@diu.edu.bd

Offline shibli

• Faculty
  • God is only one without a second. [Upanisad 6:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2010, 03:50:43 PM »
Communicative English, one of the major objectives of which is to emphasise on speaking skill, was introduced in the national curriculum more than a decade ago in order to enhance our students' overall skills, specially speaking skill, that were neglected in our curriculum since independence. But have we achieved any level of success and are we on the right track to achieve our objectives? The answer is a big "no."

In this article I am going to point out some of the reasons for which our students in general are not able to achieve even a rudimentary level of speaking skill even after they have studied English as a compulsory subject from the primary level to the higher secondary level.

First of all I would say that communicative method of language learning is a global phenomenon, and proper implementation can produce positive result. Regrettably, in Bangladesh we have not been able to use this method properly till now and probably success will not come until we take necessary steps.

Although the introduction of communicative English in Bangladesh has not enhanced the quality of our students' English language skill, it has contributed a lot towards the increase in pass rate in SSC and HSC examinations. In fact, one of the major reasons for the very poor output from communicative English is the exam system.

In Bangladesh, researchers have found that students are highly exam oriented and have no interest in things that are not included/important in the exam (this is not the fault of the students because we traditionally judge a student's merit by the marks s/he gets in the exam).

The text books (English for today) up to higher secondary level provide materials to engage students in oral communication by group work, pair work, dialogues, role-play etc. But since these things are not included in the public exams, students do not feel interested in such oral practice and language teachers face a lot of trouble in the communicative language classes.

Experts, while designing communicative English language materials for the students and guidelines/instructions for the teachers, provided sample questions that later turned into so-called model questions and students got real interest here. Now, in most schools and colleges, communicative English has dwindled to the practice of model questions that exclude the oral practice of language. These models, which are almost the same items from class six through twelve, have made the bar of exams much easier to cross.

In the present system of examination, it is very difficult for a student to fail in English because if s/he answers even randomly without being sure of any correct answer, s/he is likely to get at least pass marks, and in case s/he gets below the pass marks, examiners these days are liberal enough to enhance the score to the pass mark. One of the reasons, perhaps, is the pressure from the education boards that always want to raise the pass rates higher.

We all know that pass rates in English matter much to the average pass rates because most of the students who fail to pass in the SSC and HSC exams fail in English. In the present situation the education board authorities may feel complacent because the pass rate in English is no less than 70%, and that the number of students getting A+ in English far outnumbers those getting A+ in Bangla.

Also, those who are not familiar with the exam system may have this delusion that our students are doing better in English than in Bangla, meaning that they are gaining better in English than in Bangla. But the reality is different, and this can be guessed from the general impression that a huge number of our educated youths who have gained certificates but not good jobs in the country or elsewhere due to their lack of English language skill.

That English language skill is one of the most vital tools of success in the job market is not a present day phenomenon. During the colonial period some Indians/Bangalees reached the peak of success by learning English. This, however, had a negative impact in some cases when these English educated people suffered from "Anglomania." One such glaring example, we know, was poet Madhu Sudan Dutta, who developed a hatred for Bangla and started to write in English, but realised his mistake later.

It is time we realised the importance of English language skill, more importantly the importance of speaking skill. Bangladesh is gradually turning from its agro-based economy to a service oriented economy and agricultural land is shrinking more rapidly than ever.

In a service oriented economy our country is bound to be more impoverished and vulnerable if we cannot educate our youths with speaking skill in English. Moreover, our agenda for building a digital Bangladesh through vision 2021 will be jeopardised because in the present global context English language will be a driving force for digital Bangladesh.

In the present context of necessity of English as a tool for development I would say that the prevailing communicative method of English language teaching needs to be reshaped along with the exam system. In the public exam at least 20% marks needs to be allotted for speaking skill (that will cover listening skill as well). Then, students will be encouraged to develop their speaking skill. Practice of speaking English should be enhanced at least in the educational institutions and English classes must be conducted in English.

I would suggest that a lot of materials for discussion in English could be chosen from Bangla literature, including the literary materials of Bangla syllabuses of the respective classes. This will not only hold students' interest but also increase their passion for Bangla language and literature, simultaneously developing speaking skill in English.

From personal experience I have found a very good output engaging my students to talk about some Bangla poets or writers or on Bangla short stories and poems. Teachers should be aware that not all Bangla words have English synonyms because "no two languages are similar." Besides we can use our culture bound relationship words such as abba, amma, bhabi, assalamu alaikum, namasker etc. while speaking in English.

It is true that a language contains its speakers' cultures but as English today has become a language of the world we have to make it a language of our own, conforming it to our own culture.

As English language is an important tool for development, can't we prepare ourselves well for gaining this advantage? Can't our English language teachers say "ask not what salary you get for your job, ask what you have done for the students," For a teacher there is nothing better than making a permanent space in your students' minds.

Dr. Md. Abu Zafor, Associate Professor, Department of English, Jagannath University.
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
differences between teaching and training
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2010, 02:45:31 PM »
how do we define the fundamental differences between teaching and training?

First, let's look at definitions for teaching and training in the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.

Teaching has many alternate definitions, including:

* To cause to know something
    * To guide the studies of
    * To impart the knowledge of
    * To instruct by precept, example, or experience

Definitions for training are:

* To form by instruction, discipline, or drill
    * To make prepared for a test of skill

Note that training focuses on skill; the definitions imply a narrower focus than teaching and possibly a shorter timeframe. We might associate training with the notion of exercises that we repeat until we "get" the skills we are trying to acquire - until they become almost second nature.

The definitions for teaching, in contrast, imply deeper knowledge and a longer timeframe. We often hear the term "lifelong learning," but I can't recall ever hearing about "lifelong training."

http://feeds.feedburner.com/eptac-corp
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 07:18:03 PM by shibli »
Those who worship the natural elements enter darkness (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). Those who worship sambhuti sink deeper in darkness. [Yajurveda 40:9]; Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
differences between teaching and training
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2010, 02:51:25 PM »
Teaching provides new knowledge to the people while training helps the already knowledgeable people to learn the tools and techniques to apply the same.

Training is for a specific area where as teaching is, in general, a broader area.

To conclude, training is different from teaching.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn”, Benjamin Franklin

Offline Md. Limon Hossain

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2010, 04:20:13 PM »
Sir,

I do agree with you.
Md. Limon Hossain
Department of BBA
ID: 082-11-523
Cell: +8801717885679
E-mail: limon-hossain@diu.edu.bd And limon.hossain@yahoo.com

Offline goodboy

• "Find your ways, Built your inspiration."
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2010, 10:24:45 PM »
Mr. ashiq, you are right about what you said including the matter. But for me, all of us don't want to get involve in these kind of activities, hence they think that their education can be hampered. So I'm not against it, but sometimes I also get confused about these extra curricular activities....................
Md. Abul Hossain Shajib.
101-11-1375
Department of BBA, Sec:B.
25th Batch.
Daffodil International University.
Email: shajib_1375@diu.edu.bd
Admin Executive
creative.bd

Offline bidita

• View Profile
    • biditarahman
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2010, 03:52:03 PM »
In our assignment and presentation, sometimes we get group-wise marks. But i think we should get marks individually according to our own individual performance. We all are not the same....our caliber and ability and our performances will be different...Sometimes one member who is the leader works harder than the others., but finally he or she gets the same marks as others who didn't even try at or participate at all.....Some of us just copy and paste the materials without references, they should be advised not to copy and paste. Some of us memorize and see the slides and present....I think we all should attend the presentation skill workshop which is going to be conducted by Tanzina Hossain mam soon.......

cheers!!!!!
23rd batch
School of Business
latifa@diu.edu.bd

Offline bidita

• View Profile
    • biditarahman
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2010, 01:01:28 PM »
We only look for marks and grades...........how many among us look for real learning........What is the use of grade and mark if we don't learn truly???
23rd batch
School of Business
latifa@diu.edu.bd

Offline shibli

• Faculty
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2010, 11:58:26 AM »
You are right in understanding and saying the appropriate tone of the students.......

Offline Md. Limon Hossain

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2010, 12:17:41 PM »
Ms. Bidita:

I do agree with you about real learning. Would you please share something about real leaning?
Md. Limon Hossain
Department of BBA
ID: 082-11-523
Cell: +8801717885679
E-mail: limon-hossain@diu.edu.bd And limon.hossain@yahoo.com

Offline bidita

• View Profile
    • biditarahman
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2010, 12:47:59 PM »
Real learning is all about having the depth of knowledge of the courses we study...then we have to be good at English speaking and writing. We should know the effective business communication skills....i think that's all....
23rd batch
School of Business
latifa@diu.edu.bd

Offline Al Mamun Bhuiyan

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2010, 07:54:43 PM »
I do agree with this matter .We want to learn real and our study should be practical.Extra- curricular  activities is very important for the student and as well as CGPA to get a good job.

Offline kazi shahin

• Fear is not real
    • View Profile
    • Personal website of kazi shahin
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2010, 09:35:50 PM »
What does it mean learn? How we can learn? What is the definition of extra- activity?
Kazi Shahin                   
092-15-795
Department of CSE   
Cell : 01718 699 590
Blood Group: O+
Google + :  https://plus.google.com/u/0/101741817431143727344/about?hl=en
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/kazishahin.rahman
Web : http://www.kazishahin.com/

Offline rabeyabusri

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2010, 11:58:46 AM »
Yes Sir you are absolutely correct. We should maintain a minimum CGPA at first which is required by renowned organization then side by side it is also our responsibility to make our self able for the challenges & also competitive world.
Rabeya Busri
BBA Dept.
20th Batch
ID: 082-11-252