Microsoft recently released another flagship computer OS for surface tablets, the Windows 8.1. The new operating system looks a lot like the older version, Windows 8 but his update comes with some interesting whistles that will surely make your digital experience more efficient. But before you celebrate the return of the Start button, here are some tips and tricks that you should know about.
The Start ScreenBoot to Desktop
- If you are not a fan of the metro UI, you can bypass the start screen by clicking directly on the Desktop icon then right click on the Taskbar, select Properties and switch to Navigation tab. Check the "Show my desktop background on Start".Customise the Homescreen
- Previously on the Windows 8, there are only two options to resize - the large and small. With this new update, you can resize the homescreen to four options by doing a long press on any tile on Start screen. From the "Customise" view, you can move, group and name the tiles as you please by tapping the "Name group".Select Default Apps
- You can set your device to the default apps of your choice, simply swipe to the left of the screen and tap Settings. Afterwards, choose "Change PC settings". Go to "Search and apps" tab, then at the bottom tap Defaults, then choose a new app for e-mail, music player, Web browsing, photos, video player and calendar. Wallpaper
- You can set your Start screen similar to your desktop wallpaper, simply open "Personalise" from Settings on the Start screen then the current desktop background will be one of the thumbnails. You can also change the background colour, accent colour and wallpaper.Productivity Multitasking
- With this update, the Snap View already supports up to eight apps. The apps run side by side, however, on Surface tablets users will be getting a 50/50 split. Press and hold any window or link that will lead to zones. Drag the window or link to the zone then a skinny bar will appear that can be adjusted for size.Save to SkyDrive
- You can save documents, photos and other files to the SkyDrive cloud by default. Just swipe to the left, choose Settings and head to Change PC Settings. Afterwards, choose SkyDrive then "On" the "Save documents to SkyDrive by default".Take a photo from lock screen
- To take photos from the lock screen without entering your password simply swipe down from the top.Automatic Update
- You may set your device to automatically update apps simply go to the Store app then swipe to the left and then choose Settings. Afterwards, choose App updates and check "On" on "Automatically update my apps". Search
- To search your device or the Web, simply type for the Start screen.
Read More: http://www.laptopmag.com/windows-8.1-tutorials.aspx