Zakat On Jewelry

Author Topic: Zakat On Jewelry  (Read 3142 times)

Offline BRE SALAM SONY

• Alhamdulliha Allah Can makes Me A Muslim
    • View Profile
    • Special Discount For hajj and Umrah Guest
Zakat On Jewelry
« on: July 23, 2010, 12:04:33 PM »
Question:

I wanted to ask you a question with regards to Zakat as I have been getting mixed views on this. May Allah reward you for responding to my query.
Basically I want to know if Zakat is payable on women's jewellery that is NOT for business purposes.
Basically as far as I remember I have never accumulated wealth or had it for a year, the value which reaches the nisaab. Does one owe Zakaat if he has to the value of nisaab and is studying or not working full time? After finishing university I have been in debt and am still in debt for about 6000. I have a car, computer etc. Do I have to pay Zakaat on any of these?
Now the main question. My wife has Gold jewellery which was given to her on our wedding and which weighs a total of approx. 95 tolas (95 * 11.66 = approx 1108 grams). (this figure is the maximum estimate we could make out the jewellery to be. I don't expect it to be more than this) ( so do I have to weigh it and get the exact weight (it could be less, definitely not more) or can I stick to the estimate. Does it matter if you end up paying more. I know it is sinful for paying less.

So now this gold is not for business purposes or investment. She wears it every now and then. but not regularly at all.
Is Zakaat payable on this Gold?
If it is, and as my wife doesnt work and it is her responsibility to pay Zakaat, not mine as I have heard. How does she pay it. Does she have to sell her jewellery? Or do I have to pay for her. If that is the case would you please show me how to calculate how much I have to pay.

Answer:

All praise is to Allah. Blessings and peace upon the Messenger of Allah.

May Allah reward you for your concern about His religion.
Please forgive me for the delay in replying. I was overseas and recently returned.
Answers to your questions are below.

1) Zakat is payable on gold and silver jewelry, even if it is not for business purposes, provided it reaches the quantity of nisab and has been possessed for one lunar year or more.

It is reported that a woman came to the Prophet (may Allah bless him and his Household and grant them peace) with a daughter of hers. On the daughter's arm were two thick bracelets of gold. He asked her, "Do you give the zakat of this?" She said, "No." He said, "Would it please you for Allah to put them around you as bracelets of fire on the Day of Resurrection?" Thereupon, she removed them and threw them before the Prophet (may Allah bless him and his Household and grant them peace), saying, "They are for [the cause of] Allah and His messenger."
[Narrated by Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi, Nasa'i, Ahmad and others.
Hafiz Ibn Hajar said, in Bulugh al-Maram, "Its isnad is strong."]

`A'ishah (may Allah be pleased with her), the wife of the Prophet (may Allah bless him and his Household and grant them peace), says, "The Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and his Household and grant them peace) entered upon me and saw bands ( i.e. rings without any stones) of silver on [the fingers of] my hand. He said, "What is this, O `A'ishah?!" I replied, "I put them on to make myself beautiful for you, O Messenger of Allah!" He said, "Do you pay their zakat?" I said, "No." He said, "They are sufficient for you [as a share] of the Fire [of Hell]."
[Narrated by Abu Dawud]

2) The nisab for gold is approximately 87g. According to your data, the quantity of your wife's jewelry is more than this. Therefore zakat is considered to be due on it. There is no harm in overpaying the zakat, so if your estimate is a "safe estimate" ( i.e. definitely not less than the value of the gold) then you can use this figure, and you do not need to weigh it exactly.

3) Yes, the zakat on your wife's jewelry is payable by her. If she does not have enough money to pay the zakat, then either she could sell some of the jewelry, or you could give her enough money to enable her to pay the zakat.

4) To calculate the amount of zakat due on gold jewelry, proceed as follows:
i) Determine the weight of the gold (Note that if the jewelry is not pure gold, then you will need to make a proportionate adjustment for the weight).
ii) Find out the current price of gold (you can find this on the internet, from sites such as http://kitco.com/market/us_charts.html (in US Dollars) or http://kitco.com/market/bp_charts.html (in British Pounds).
iii) Calculate the price of the gold you have.
iv) The zakat due is 2.5% of this (i.e. one-fortieth)

Example:
i) Weight of gold jewelry is 1110 grams.
Divide by 31.13 to convert to troy ounces (or use an online conversion utility, such as http://www.metric-conversions.org/we...roy-ounces.htm . Or to convert directly from tolas to troy ounces, multiply the number of tolas by 0.375).
=> Weight of jewelry is approximately 35.7 troy ounces.
ii) Current price of gold is approximately US$ 360 per troy ounce
iii) Therefore, value of the gold jewelry is approximately $12852
iv) Zakat due is therefore 12852/40 = $321.30

5) If you have never possessed the amount of nisab, then zakat is not due upon you. (According to the Hanafi school, the nisab for money is (nowadays) calculated on the basis of silver, and according to current silver prices, the nisab is approximately US$191.) What is of consideration, in determining whether you must pay zakat, is whether or not you possess the nisab in excess of your basic needs and debts. It is irrelevant, for this purpose, whether you are working part-time, working full-time, studying, etc.

6) If you are in debt, then you can subtract the amount of your debt from your zakatable total. (Your zakatable total is the combined value of all your current cash, gold, silver, investments, trade goods, produce and free-grazing livestock.) Note that if you have enough cash to pay off your debt, then you should do so before starting the zakat calculations.

7) No zakat is due on items of personal use, such as your car and your computer.

And Allah knows best.

MORE THINGS ...................................................www.hajjbangladesh.com

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 05:38:43 PM by BRE SALAM SONY »
আল্লাহর রহমতে প্রতি বছর হজে যাওয়ার সুযোগ হচ্ছে।এভাবেই হাজীদের খেদমত করে যেতে চাই।

আমার প্রতিষ্ঠান www.zilhajjgroup.com
www.corporatetourbd.com

Offline papelrezwan

• View Profile
Re: Zakat On Jewelry
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 07:44:55 PM »
Informative post. We should know these.
Md. Rezwanur Rahman
MBA, BBA,
Student Counselor,
Daffodil International University
Executive Member, DIUAA
Cell: 01713493051, 01717352538
E-mail: rezwan@daffodilvarsity.edu.bd

Offline shohel

• View Profile
Re: Zakat On Jewelry
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 12:33:21 PM »
This is the high time to know about the Zakat and implement in your personal life.This topic is really helpful for those who are not well known about the Zakat.
Thanks for inputing the topic in seperate head.

Shohel