Loan and Credit

Author Topic: Loan and Credit  (Read 2492 times)

Offline papelrezwan

• View Profile
Loan and Credit
« on: August 03, 2010, 05:11:26 PM »
Loan:
An arrangement in which a lender gives money or property to a borrower, and the borrower agrees to return the property or repay the money, usually along with interest, at some future point(s) in time. Usually, there is a predetermined time for repaying a loan, and generally the lender has to bear the risk that the borrower may not repay a loan (though modern capital markets have developed many ways of managing this risk).

In a loan, the borrower initially receives or borrows an amount of money, called the principal, from the lender, and is obligated to pay back or repay an equal amount of money to the lender at a later time. Typically, the money is paid back in regular installments, or partial repayments; in an annuity, each installment is the same amount. The loan is generally provided at a cost, referred to as interest on the debt, which provides an incentive for the lender to engage in the loan. In a legal loan, each of these obligations and restrictions is enforced by contract, which can also place the borrower under additional restrictions known as loan covenants. Although this article focuses on monetary loans, in practice any material object might be lent. Acting as a provider of loans is one of the principal tasks for financial institutions. For other institutions, issuing of debt contracts such as bonds is a typical source of funding.

Credit:
Credit is the provision of resources (such as granting a loan) by one party to another party where that second party does not reimburse the first party immediately, thereby generating a debt, and instead arranges either to repay or return those resources (or material(s) of equal value) at a later date. It is any form of deferred payment.[1] The first party is called a creditor, also known as a lender, while the second party is called a debtor, also known as a borrower.
Movements of financial capital are normally dependent on either credit or equity transfers. Credit is in turn dependent on the reputation or creditworthiness of the entity which takes responsibility for the funds.

Credit need not necessarily be based on formal monetary systems. The credit concept can be applied in barter economies based on the direct exchange of goods and services, and some would go so far as to suggest that the true nature of money is best described as a representation of the credit-debt relationships that exist in society.
Credit is denominated by a unit of account. Unlike money (by a strict definition), credit itself cannot act as a unit of account. However, many forms of credit can readily act as a medium of exchange. As such, various forms of credit are frequently referred to as money and are included in estimates of the money supply.

Credit is also traded in the market. The purest form is the credit default swap market, which is essentially a traded market in credit insurance. A credit default swap represents the price at which two parties exchange this risk – the protection "seller" takes the risk of default of the credit in return for a payment, commonly denoted in basis points (one basis point is 1/100 of a percent) of the notional amount to be referenced, while the protection "buyer" pays this premium and in the case of default of the underlying (a loan, bond or other receivable), delivers this receivable to the protection seller and receives from the seller the par amount (that is, is made whole).
Md. Rezwanur Rahman
MBA, BBA,
Student Counselor,
Daffodil International University
Executive Member, DIUAA
Cell: 01713493051, 01717352538
E-mail: rezwan@daffodilvarsity.edu.bd

Offline ashiqbest012

• I love my University
    • View Profile
Re: Loan and Credit
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 12:45:47 AM »
Dear sir,
Thank you for your post. This is very effective for Business related student as well as other student. You have clearly distinguished about creditor, debtor, loan, credit. Thank you sir, I have saved it my computer hard disk...
Name: Ashiq Hossain
ID: 121-14-696 & 083-11-558
Faculty of Business & Economics
Cell:01674-566806

Offline rumman

• DIU is the best
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 12:55:27 PM »
Thank you for this posing regarding loan and credit.
Md. Abdur Rumman Khan
Senior Assistant Registrar

Offline papelrezwan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 09:44:09 AM »
Mr. Ashiq,
You are most welcome. Actually, i am finance graduate that is why i am interested about these term. I know sometimes these terms become very necessary for the business students. However, i have completed my graduate and post graduate from Daffodil International University.
Best of luck for all DIU students.
Md. Rezwanur Rahman
MBA, BBA,
Student Counselor,
Executive Member, DIUAA
Cell: 01713493051, 01717352538
E-mail: rezwan@daffodilvarsity.edu.bd

Offline ashiqbest012

• I love my University
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 04:11:53 PM »
Dear sir,
One of our faculty member asked this question to the internship student.  However, students failed to reply it. If they are a member of DIU fourm, they would answer the question.

Thank you again sir for your post.
Name: Ashiq Hossain
ID: 121-14-696 & 083-11-558
Faculty of Business & Economics
Cell:01674-566806

Offline Yousuf.Chy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 07:40:52 PM »
Can you post about classification of loans based on risk? I think this will help us too.
Yousuf Chowdhury
Student Counselor,
Member, DIUAA
Cell: +880 01713493051.
E-mail: yousuf.chy@daffodilvarsity.edu.bd