Ebola virus: What is it, what are the symptoms and are there any cures?

Author Topic: Ebola virus: What is it, what are the symptoms and are there any cures?  (Read 1208 times)

Offline ehsan217

• Test
    • View Profile
What is Ebola?

A deadly virus for which there is currently no proven cure. It is transmitted to humans from wild animals and is then spread through direct contact with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of those who are already infected.

Symptoms, which can begin between two to 21 days after infection, include fever, muscle pain, headache and a sore throat followed by vomiting, diarrhoea, rash, impaired kidney and liver function and in some cases both internal and external bleeding.

Can it be cured or treated?

There is currently no cure for Ebola but patients can survive if they are rehydrated and treated for their symptoms in hospital. Mr Pooley, who is being cared for in a special tent which ensures that doctors can interact with him but are separated by plastic, will immediately have undergone tests to make sure his organs are functioning properly.
Last week, two Americans who contracted the disease in Liberia recovered after being given an experimental drug called ZMapp. However, its US manufacturer has said supplies have now run out – and yesterday a Liberian doctor who was given the drug and showed early signs of recovery died from Ebola.

What are the chances of surviving the virus?

In general, not very high. Ebola is one of the world’s deadliest diseases, carrying a mortality rate of 90 per cent if left untreated. The current outbreak, however, has so far had a fatality rate of 55 per cent.

Is there a risk to the rest of the UK?

Almost zero. As direct contact with an infected person is required for the virus to spread, health officials say the risk to the public is “very low”. To illustrate this point, the director of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Peter Piot, has said he would happily sit next to an Ebola patient on the London Underground.

Offline chhanda

• View Profile
thank u for the info about Ebola

Offline kaushik.swe

• View Profile
    • Site at DIU
Re: Ebola virus: What is it, what are the symptoms and are there any cures?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:09:47 PM »
So far i know, the Ebola has spread from African region and as far as our students are concerned, we have a lot of Africans (I am against Racism) in our University. I have a few students who paid a visit to their country in the last semester. New students from Somalia have got admission to our department this semester.

should not we be concerned about this matter?

If it is only spread by the bodily fluids, then i think its alright. i did not know that. If otherwise, we should have a test on them who has recently been to the affected countries. Isn't it?
Kaushik Sarker
Associate Head & Assistant Professor
Department of Software Engineering, FSIT
Daffodil International University

Offline Ferdousi Begum

• Don't give up.
    • View Profile
Re: Ebola virus: What is it, what are the symptoms and are there any cures?
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 11:37:30 AM »
We should make awareness regarding this.