Research has shown that smiles can be heard. When a person who is speaking on the phone is smiling, the person listening can actually sense it.
Many telemarketing companies require that their telemarketers speak to their mirrored reflection so they can see their facial expressions. If they are not smiling, they can see themselves in the mirror as a reminder to smile as they speak.
Reasons Why Smiling Is Better Than Frowning
- It takes less muscles to smile than it does to frown "It takes seventeen muscles to smile and forty-three to frown." Author Unknown
- Smiling will relieve stress whereas frowning can actually increase stress "It takes a lot of work from the face to let out a smile, but just think what good smiling can bring to the most important muscle of the body... the heart." Author Unknown
- People are attracted to those who smile. When was the last time you wanted to meet a person who was frowning? "Wear a smile and have friends; wear a scowl and have wrinkles. What do we live for if not to make the world less difficult for each other?" George Eliot
- Smile and your eyes lighten up. Frown and your eyes darken. "Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important." Janet Lane
- The cost of a smile is zero. "A smile is an inexpensive way to change your looks." Charles Gordy
When you smile, you are certainly transmitting a special signal to those who are in receipt and to others who observe your smile.
This was a signal that I used quite often in various work that I did over the years and have even tested the theory that a smile is a more welcoming sign for people to approach than if you do not smile.