1. Drink a glass of milk. It contains tryptophan, which as it is metabolized is converted to mood-boosting serotonin. Plus, its calcium, magnesium and potassium content may help keep blood pressure down.
2. Drink hot cocoa. Warm drinks raise your body temperatureâ€”a feeling we associate with comfort, so it triggers a similar response in our brains.
3. Order black tea instead of coffee. A study by University College London shows that drinking black tea four times a day for six weeks lowered the stress hormone cortisol after a stressful event.
4. Drink green teaâ€”packed with theanine, which increases the brainâ€™s output of relaxation-inducing alpha waves and reduces the output of tension-making beta waves.
5. Drink a glass of cold water, then go for a walk outside. The water gets your blood moving and the air invigorates by stimulating the endorphins that de-stress you.