Dear English learners,
Do we find it difficult to speak English? Are we wondering why we can ONLY read and write in English but have a hard time putting together a simple sentence?
Do we feel shy or scared to speak to other people in English? Does it take us a very long time to say a simple sentence in public?
Are we tired of studying English without seeing improvements in our speaking skills?
The most popular question I get is, "How can I speak English fluently?" or "I can read and write, but I cannot speak English. What do I need to do?"
There are 5 basic problems
why people study English for many years and still cannot speak English.
1. Too much emphasis on grammar
1. Studying grammar will help us with exams, but will slow us down when trying to speak English
2. Too much time spent on studying words and vocabulary
1. We will know 1000 words, but will not be able to communicate
3. Spending most of the time on listening and reading, but not practicing speaking
1. We will be able to read, write, and understand, but will not be able to speak
4. Not surrounding ourselves in English
1. English speaking will continue to be difficult by not surrounding ourselves in English
5. Studying the wrong material
1. We will spend countless hours studying without any results
Steps to English Fluency.
A complete and efficient solution for English speaking will be fruitful if we practice speaking continuously.
To become a fluent English speaker, we also have to study and thus master reading, listening, and speaking.
By Swapan Kumar Bhowmik, DIU Faculty