Motivation is an employee's intrinsic enthusiasm about and drive to accomplish activities related to work. Motivation is that internal drive that causes an individual to decide to take action.
An individual's motivation is influenced by biological, intellectual, social and emotional factors. As such, motivation is a complex, not easily defined, intrinsic driving force that can also be influenced by external factors.
Every employee has activities, events, people, and goals in his or her life that he or she finds motivating. So, motivation about some aspect of life exists in each person's consciousness and actions.
The trick for employers is to figure out how to inspire employee motivation at work. To create a work environment in which an employee is motivated about work, involves both intrinsically satisfying and extrinsically encouraging factors. Employee motivation is the combination of fulfilling the employee's needs and expectations from work and the workplace factors that enable employee motivation - or not. These variables make motivating employees challenging.
Employers understand that they need to provide a work environment that creates motivation in people. But, many employers fail to understand the significance of motivation in accomplishing their mission and vision. Even when they understand the importance of motivation, they lack the skill and knowledge to provide a work environment that fosters employee motivation.
The easy way to do fast and frequent performance appraisals!
Here are thoughts about encouraging and inspiring employee motivation at work.
Factors to Encourage Motivation
These are some of the factors that are present in a work environment that many employees find motivating.
• Management and leadership actions that empower employees,
• Transparent and regular communication about factors important to employees,
• Treating employees with respect,
• Providing regular employee recognition,
• Feedback and coaching from managers and leaders,
• Above industry-average benefits and compensation,
• Providing employee perks and company activities, and
• Positively managing employees within a success framework of goals, measurements, and clear expectations.