Describe the fundamental concepts or assumptions of organizational behavior.

Author Topic: Describe the fundamental concepts or assumptions of organizational behavior.  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Shah Alam Kabir Pramanik

• Test
    • View Profile
Describe the fundamental concepts or assumptions of    organizational behavior.

Every field of social science or even physical science has philosophical foundation that guides its development. For example: in accounting “for every debt there will be a credit.”
Organizational behavior also starts with a set of fundamental concepts revolving around the nature of people and nature of organizations. These principles or concepts form a strong foundation for organizational behavior. Brief descriptions of these concepts are given below:
1.   Nature of people:
i.   Individual difference
ii.   Perception
iii.   A whole person
iv.   Motivated behavior
v.   Desire for involvement
vi.   Value of the person

2. Nature of organizations
i. Social system
ii. Mutual interest
iii. Ethics
Above concepts are briefly discussed below:

1. The nature of people: With regard to people, there are six basic concepts. These are given below:
(i). Individual differences: Although people have some common characteristics, each person in the world is different from each other. Individual differences mean that management can motivate employees best by treating them differently. This individual difference must be recognized and viewed as a valuable asset to organization.

(ii) Perception: Perception is a process by which an individual sees, organizes and interprets things. People look at the world and see things differently. Similarly employees also see their work worlds differently for various reasons. Whatever the reasons they tend to/ obey to act on the basis of perceptions.

(iii) A whole person: Some organizations think that they only employ/use a person’s skill or brain, but they actually employ a whole person, because skill or knowledge does not exist apart from the person.
Employees play many roles inside and outside the firm. If the whole person can be improved then it will be good for organizations and employees.

(iv) Motivated behavior: Motivation is essential to the operation of organizations. It does not a matter how much technology and equipment an organization has, it needs a person to be motivated to use these resources. Motivation turns on the power to start and keep the organization running effectively.

(v) Desire for involvement: To day many employees want to be involved in decision making and to contribute their talents and ideas to the organization’s success. Therefore an organization needs to provide opportunities for meaningful involvement for the betterment of both parties.

(vi) Value of the person: People expect that they will be treated differently from other factors of production. They want to be treated with caring, respect and dignity. So they should be valued for their skills and abilities.

2. The nature of organizations: With regard to organization there exist three concepts. These concepts are discussed below briefly:

i. Social System: We know that organizations are the larger part of social systems. It must be governed by social laws as well as psychological laws. There exist two social systems side by side of organization i.e., formal or official and informal or unofficial. This social system provides a framework for analyzing, un- organizational behavior. (Understanding and managing).

ii. Mutual Interest: Organization needs people and people need organizations. They are formed and maintained on the basis of some mutual interest. That Provides super ordinate goal for employees, organization and society. Organization needs people to reach organizational objectives and people need organization to reach individual objectives.