Some unwritten social rules everyone should know:
• If you see somebody holding a door, then do that awkward walk run towards it, so that you don’t look like a jerk.
• Don’t take selfies in public. It makes everyone super uncomfortable to watch you try and contort your face to make it look as attractive as possible.
• For all the teens out there: Don’t block the god damned hallway because you for some reason have to be on your phones. Hallways are for walking.
• When in an elevator, please, for the love of god, let people leave before trying to flood in yourself. The elevator won’t leave without you. Everything will be OK.
• Don’t be that person who makes a 20 slide power point that is full of blocks of text, and then read it all.
• Cover your mouth when you cough. I got sick because someone coughed into their hand and then touched me. I couldn’t go on a trip I have been fundraising and getting excited for all year because of some idiot who can’t use basic hygiene.
• Don’t be that person who inadvertently picks on nervous or shy people. You don’t have to point out our anxiety. We are well aware of it.
Afroza Akhter Tina
Department of English, DIU