Merits of using computers in education.
1. Speed: computers can make learning more efficient.
2. Distance learning: online courses enable more communities to access education at a distance.
3. Information: a computer can be a portal to a wealth of information.
Demerits of using computers in education.
1. Distraction: computers can distract students’ minds, particularly if the computer provides access to general websites and social media.
2. Lack of independent thought: if a student gets into habit of simply searching for answers online, they will miss out on the ability to cultivate an important skill: thinking for themselves.
3. Expense: not all schools can afford computers, and not all individual students and their families can afford them either. This can make it difficult to get the right technology for learning and can create an unequal experience for different learners.