Dear respective colleagues,
As Salamu Alaikum
Ramadan Kareem. As all of we already know that every Muslim people is going to start fasting on occasion of Ramadan for the next one month. May Allah give us the strength and capacity to follow the instructions of Islam.
It is really very important to stay healthy while fasting. Many of us are not aware of few things which may greatly affect to our health. Hence, I am writing this post to point out few common mistakes we make in Ramadan in order to create awareness:
1. Drinking "rooh afza" on a daily basis
- Why: It contains high amounts of sugar, additives and colorants
- Solution: If you have to, drink it twice a week maximum
2. Drinking large amounts of water at iftaar time
- Why: Filling the stomach with water is more strenuous to it than with food.
- Solution: have a few sips at iftaar then a glass after every two hours.
3. Exercising directly after iftaar.
- Why: the body's blood flow is concentrated around the stomach at that time.
- Solution: Exercise after two hours of eating to ease digestion.
4. Chewing and swallowing food fast.
- Why: chewing food slowly can speed up digestion and help maintain your weight
5. Having dessert directly after iftaar
- Why: they make you drowsy and sleepy ??
- Solution: leave at least a two hour gap between iftaar and dessert to stay fresh and awake for prayers
6. Consuming foods with high amounts of sodium
- Why: Sodium triggers thirst through out the fasting hours of the day
- Solution: instead, eat foods that are high in potassium, they retain water and supress your thirst.
# Bananas are high in potassium. A banana at Suhoor time can control your thirst level through out the day.
# Best sources of potassium for Suhoor time:
- dried peaches
- dark chocolate
# Worst choices for Suhoor:
- fast food in general
# Best choices for Suhoor:
- whole grain bread
I hope you will find this post helpful. Keep me and my family in your prayers. May Allah forgive all of our sins.
Rayhanul Islam Rumel