Facebook or any social media can be used as social engineering tools against you
Social Engineering means your social information cracking method for making your online identity vulnerable. Now-a days it is becoming a major tools to break your online status. Sometimes hackers, spammers are stealing your information found on various social community portal like Facebook, MySpace etc.. They are being concern about your information.
â€œSocial engineering takes advantage of the weakest link in any organizationÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s
information security defenses: people. Social engineering is
Ã¢â‚¬Å“people hackingÃ¢â‚¬Â and involves maliciously exploiting the trusting nature of
human beings to obtain information that can be used for personal gain.â€
According to the â€˜Hacking for Dummiesâ€™ by Kevin Beaver there has been given some example of social engineering. Those are:
- False support personnel claim that they need to install a patch or newversion of software on a userÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s computer, talk the user into downloading the software, and obtain remote control of the system.
- False vendors claim to need to update the organizationÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s accounting package or phone system, ask for the administrator password, and obtain full access.
- Phishing e-mails sent by external attackers gather user IDs and passwords of unsuspecting recipients. The bad guys then use those passwords to gain access to bank accounts and more. A related attack exploits crosssite scripting on Web forms.
- False employees notify the security desk that they have lost their keys to the computer room, receive a set of keys from security, and obtain unauthorized access to physical and electronic information.
Sometimes, social engineers act as forceful and knowledgeable employees,Ã‚ such as managers or executives. At other times they might play the roles ofÃ‚ extremely uninformed or naÃƒÂ¯ve employees. They also might pose as outsiders,Ã‚ such as IT consultants or maintenance people. Social engineers oftenÃ‚ switch from one mode to the other, depending on the people they speak to.
Now most of the Bangladeshi are using Facebook very much regular user they are going to be. But I think 10% of them are not aware of this kinds of alert. Many of my friends regularly tell me that they are facing problem with their online activity. Somebody are trying to get access to their account.
In this case, I have found some suggestion that is-
- Be aware about what you are going to enter into.
- Read more and more about what you are going to use for long term.
- Always practice to think that in your social network there are real and also fake personnel (can be).
-Think about what you are giving or posting . Those can be used to make your life vulnerable