Shengma fiber is a new and exciting regenerated cellulose fiber from the Shengma plant. The western world knows this as bugbane rhizome. Shengma literally means ascending hemp, so called for the similarity of the leaves to those of the hemp plant. It is a common and fast growing plant throughout China that easily grows to about 3 ft tall.
If the property of Shengma fibre and Viscose are compared, then under normal temperature and dry condition, breaking tenacity of Shengma is less than that of viscose, while breaking elongation rate of Shengma is larger than that of viscose. In wet condition the change of Shengma fiber mechanical property is less than that of viscose. Crimp elasticity of Shengma fiber is worse than that of viscose. 
The Shengma fiber overcomes the defects of natural bast fiber such as :
1. Poor close skin property;
2. Easy to crumple;
3. High dry and wet strength;
4. Good moisture absorption permeability;
5. Bacteriostatic and mildew proof;
The Shengma fabric has the properties of:
1. Soapy handle;
2. Good draping;
3. Brilliant luster;
4. Plump surface etc.
Shengma is one kind of ideal textile fiber which gathers gorgeous, hygienic, comfortable and ecological characteristic as one unity. This textile fiber has good spinnability, the conventional equipment can meet the spinning requirement, and simultaneously it also can blend with other natural bast fiber to produce light and thin fabric, in order to enhance the grade of bast fiber fabric. Fabric of Shengma fibre feels smooth and soft, and has brilliant colour, of fabric is full and rich organization, good moisture absorption .
1. Under normal temperature and dry condition, the breaking tenacity of Shengma is less than that of viscose, while the breaking elongation rate of Shengma is larger than that of viscose.
2. The tenacity of Shengma fiber in wet condition is less than that in dry condition. The decline degree of tenacity of Shengma fiber in wet condition is less than that of viscose fiber. The breaking elongation ratio of Shengma fiber in wet condition is 1.29 times higher than that in dry condition.
3. The tenacities of Shengma fiber in both knot and hook joint modalities are less than that in straight modality.
4. The dynamic and static friction coefficients of Shengma fiber are smaller than those of viscose fiber, the dynamic friction coefficient between Shengma fibers is bigger than that between the metal roller and Shengma fibers, and smaller than that between rubber roll and Shengma fibers.
5. The crimp ratio of Shengma fiber is smaller than that of viscose fiber, the crimp recovery ratio and the crimp elasticity ratio are also smaller than those of viscose fiber, and this shows that the crimp durability and the crimp recovery ability of Shengma fiber are poorer than those of viscose fiber.References:
[Accessed 10th August2011].
2. China textile Science, No. 5, Oct 2009, P. No. 32-36.