Walking for Good Health

Author Topic: Walking for Good Health  (Read 1320 times)

Offline bcdas

• View Profile
Walking for Good Health
« on: November 27, 2011, 10:59:28 AM »
Walking can improve health and fitness. Walking can help you lose body fat and maintain a healthy weight, improve your fitness and reduce your risk of developing conditions such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis and some cancers. To get the health benefits, try to walk for at least 30 minutes as briskly as you can most days of the week.

Benefits of walking

You carry your own body weight when you walk. This is sometimes called ‘weight bearing’ exercise. Some of the benefits include:

Increased cardiovascular and pulmonary (heart and lung) fitness
    Reduced risk of heart disease and stroke
    Improved management of conditions such as hypertension (high blood pressure), high cholesterol, joint     and muscular pain or stiffness, and diabetes
    Stronger bones and improved balance
    Increased muscle strength and endurance
    Reduced body fat.

Why Walking is Necessary for Good Health – Even If You Are Extremely Fit and Lean:

I use to think that walking was just for people who weren't fit enough to do any "real" exercise. I figured that any activity that 99% of the population can easily do, just can't be tough enough to make a real difference in health. Walking just doesn't seem to challenge the body like "true" exercise (intervals, circuits, HIIT). I am first to admit that I have been wrong when it comes to this line of thinking. Not only do I admit my thinking has been wrong, I'm immediately going to do my best to walk daily. Some recent studies have proven how valuable walking is to long-term health.
[A picture of a young couple walking down a path near the River Thames in London. Walking can be a blast if you are in a scenic place with lots to see. I need to get to London and walk around to look for great pubs. Kind of a walking and beer sampling tour.]
Dr. Bimal Chandra Das
Associate Professor
Dept. of GED, DIU