Entrepreneurship: The Engine Of Growth Driving Our Economy

Author Topic: Entrepreneurship: The Engine Of Growth Driving Our Economy  (Read 194 times)

Offline kamruzzaman.bba

• Test
    • View Profile
« on: August 01, 2023, 05:05:00 PM »

Entrepreneurship, the art of starting and managing a business venture to make a profit, is the driving force behind our economy's growth.

As a serial entrepreneur, I've witnessed how entrepreneurship is foundational for innovation, job creation and wealth generation. Based on my experiences, here are some ways that entrepreneurship drives the growth of our economy and how individual leaders can become strong contributors to this growth:

Four Ways Entrepreneurship Acts As An Engine Of Growth
Entrepreneurship stimulates competition in the marketplace. When new businesses enter an industry, they often introduce new products or services that can challenge established firms. This competition can lead to lower prices, improved quality and increased innovation as businesses strive to differentiate themselves and meet consumer demand. This healthy competition can ultimately benefit consumers who are able to access a wider range of products and services at more affordable prices.

There are four main ways I see entrepreneurship working to drive our economy; these are areas I think you should keep in mind when starting an enterprise.

Innovation
Successful entrepreneurs are always looking for new and innovative ways to solve problems and meet the needs of consumers. They are willing to take risks and invest in new ideas that others may not have considered. Through their innovative ideas, entrepreneurs create new products and services, improve existing ones and find better ways to do things.

Job Creation
Entrepreneurship is a significant contributor to job creation. As new businesses are created, they need people to work for them. Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) play a vital role in economies and are a significant source of employment with "two out of every three jobs added to the economy" being from SMEs.

Wealth Creation
Successful entrepreneurs not only create jobs but also generate wealth for themselves and their employees. As their businesses grow and become more successful, they generate profits that can be reinvested to fuel further growth.

Economic Growth
As hinted at with innovation, entrepreneurship ultimately leads to the creation of new industries, products and services that increase economic activity. Entrepreneurs greatly contribute to economic development through their fresh innovations.

Contributing To This Engine Of Growth
Here are some ways that entrepreneurs can help drive this growth.

1. Social entrepreneurship. This blends business goals with social or environmental objectives. I encourage you to create ventures that address pressing issues such as poverty, education, healthcare or climate change. By aligning your business with a social mission, you can create positive change while still pursuing profitability.

2. Ethical practices. I believe that you should also prioritize ethical considerations in your business operations. This includes fair labor practices, responsible sourcing, environmental sustainability and giving back to the community.

By demonstrating a commitment to ethical behavior, you can both build trust with consumers and contribute to a more sustainable future. For example, while I do have a team outsourced in India, I make sure there is a benchmark pay for team members and the agency managing them gets a percentage above it.

3. Collaboration and partnerships. Seek opportunities for collaboration with other businesses, nonprofits or government organizations. By joining forces, you can leverage collective resources, expertise and networks to amplify your impact and address complex challenges.

As a start-up, it is all about capitalizing on the partner ecosystem. You may be surprised at the amount of support that is available: Cloud credits from AWS, a business account with Apple, numerous entrepreneur clubs—just to list a few of the ways that organizations give support and invest in the future.

4. Customer-centric approach. Look to truly understand the needs and desires of your target market. Conduct market research, engage in active listening and seek feedback to ensure that your products or services genuinely meet the needs of your customers.

5. Mentorship and support. Pay it forward by offering mentorship and support to aspiring entrepreneurs or disadvantaged individuals.

I find that mentorship is imperative and a non-negotiable, for it is a very different game when you reach your first thousand compared to when you reach your first million. You need somebody experienced who has been a part of a larger organization and is a subject matter expert. My own mentor has been critical in supporting me when it comes to strategy, helping me outline my vision and craft a road map.

Overcoming Challenges
Of course, entrepreneurship is not without its challenges. Starting a new business requires significant resources, including capital, expertise and time. Many entrepreneurs face significant barriers to entry, such as a lack of funding, regulatory obstacles and market saturation.

The main challenges that I believe we can most immediately solve include a lack of access to resources, education and training. To help solve access to resources, we should advocate for policies and initiatives that provide entrepreneurs with access to funding, business support services and mentorship programs.

As far as education and training, we can prioritize equipping aspiring entrepreneurs with the knowledge, skills and mindset necessary to navigate the challenges of starting and managing a business. This includes utilizing the earlier-mentioned mentorship and partnership programs.

Conclusion
Starting a business can be a challenging and rewarding journey, requiring a combination of hard work, dedication and a willingness to take calculated risks. However, the potential rewards can be immense, not just for the entrepreneurs themselves but for the entire community.

I believe that entrepreneurship is not just about creating wealth; it's about creating value and making a positive impact on society. Entrepreneurs are the ones who identify unmet needs and develop solutions that improve people's lives.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesbusinesscouncil/2023/07/31/entrepreneurship-the-engine-of-growth-driving-our-economy/?sh=617493945af9
Md. Kamruzzaman Didar
Assistant Professor & Head
Department of Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Faculty of Business & Entrepreneurship