Fun Facts

Author Topic: Fun Facts  (Read 659 times)

Offline faizun

• View Profile
Fun Facts
« on: May 26, 2012, 02:37:22 PM »
1.Sir Isaac Newton, hmm . . . I've heard of him. Oh yeah, he's that guy who ___.

Came up with the Universal Law of Gravitation. Newton was born on Christmas Day.

2.Now it gets a bit tougher. When dealing with magnetic fields, what does the A stand for in the equation { Torque = NIAB sin 90 }.

Area. N = number of turns, I = current, B = Magnitude of the magnetic field.

3.Who won a Nobel Prize in 1918 for his work in quantum physics?

Max Planck. Einstein won the nobel prize in 1921 for his theory of the Photoeletric Effect.

4.In what way is force directly related to potential energy?

The derivative of potential energy is force. Potential energy is also equal to mgh.

5.In an RLC circuit, what does the L stand for?

An inductor. The RLC circut is used with AC (alternating current) electricity.

6.The speed of light is approximately 300,000,000 m/s. Approximately how long does it take for light to travel from the Sun to the Earth?

8 minutes. The light takes about 8.5 minutes to get to Earth, and about 5.4 hours to get to Pluto.

7.Using the following prefixes, which is the correct order, smallest to largest?

Zepto, Femto, Peta, Yotta. Zepto = 10^-21, Femto = 10^-15, Peta = 10^15, Yotta = 10^24

Internal energy (E) is equal to the difference of the heat transfer (Q) into a system and the work (W) done by the system. This is the first law of ____ .

8.Thermodynamics. There is also a zeroth law of Thermodynamics. I wonder which came first?

9.What is the British name for a unit of mass?

Slug. Rarely used but a Slug is the English unit of mass. The English unit of weight is pounds.

10.Which physicist stated the following: "My goal is simple, it is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all".

Stephen Hawking. He is working on the grand unification theory (the scientific explanation of everything).
Faizun Nesa
Senior Lecturer of Physics,
Department of Natural Science, FSIT,
Daffodil International University

Offline sumon_acce

• View Profile
Re: Fun Facts
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 01:02:47 PM »
Very nice