Study in USA

Author Topic: Study in USA  (Read 1340 times)

Offline International Desk, DIU

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 162
    • View Profile
Study in USA
« on: June 03, 2012, 03:44:24 PM »
Education terms

University vs. college

In the US, the terms 'university' and 'college' are often used synonymously. Both grant degrees and can be either private or public. Generally, universities tend to be larger than colleges (in terms of student population). Colleges usually only grant undergraduate (bachelor's) degrees, while universities grant bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Community colleges, however, offer two-year associate degrees as well as technical or vocational programmes.

Graduate vs. postgraduate

In the US, the term 'graduate' is used for master's and PhD studies (this is the equivalent of postgraduate which is used in the UK). Commonly known as ?grad school', these institutions award master's and doctoral degrees and other graduate qualifications and professional degrees.

About US institutions

Higher education in the US is well known for its top quality, easy accessibility, variety and flexibility. It's a diverse mix of public and private institutions, some of which are autonomous.

State universities

State universities are founded and subsidised by the US government. Tuition is lower than private universities, and in-state residents (those from that state) pay significantly lower than out-of-state residents. Total enrolment is usually over 20,000 students. International students are classified as out-of-state residents and may have to fulfil higher admission requirements than in-state students.

Private institutions

Private institutions are funded by endowments, tuition fees, grants and alumni donations. Tuition fees tend to be higher than at state universities and no distinction is made between in-state or out-of-state residents. These institutions tend to have a smaller enrolment than state universities. Religious-affiliated institutions, which are numerous in the US, are private.

Community colleges

Community colleges offer two-year associate degrees as well as technical or vocational programmes. They can be either public or private, but often have strong links with their surrounding community stakeholders. Tuition is generally less at a community college, and many have links with universities to allow students to transfer to the third year of an undergraduate degree.

Technical and vocational colleges

Technical and vocational colleges offer short-term programmes to train students for a specific vocation or how to use specific skill and usually last two years or less.

Academic calendar

The university year usually starts in September and ends in May. It is often divided into two semesters as well as a shorter, more intensive summer term. The summer term allows students spread out their course load over the year, or complete their undergraduate degree in less time.

Guide to studying in the USA for Indian students

Types of Courses

English language courses (ELICOS)
Undergraduate education
Graduate application process
Doctoral degrees
Online courses

Now Choose your University from the following website.

As different university has different requirements so better you select the university first and then visit the corresponding link, any further query please communicate with the university contact person. If you feel to get more assistance about the study in USA, contact me through mail.

Financing your studies

You will have two main costs you will incur while studying in the US: tuition and living expenses.
Tuition varies greatly between state universities and private universities and colleges, but by no means is a higher tuition fee indicative of a better school. State universities usually charge less than private institutions, while community, technical and vocational colleges generally have the lowest tuition fees.

Your cost of living in the US will depend on where you choose to study. Larger, urban centres, California and parts of the north-east will be more expensive than areas in the south and mid-west and other areas.

Tuition costs

Below is an outline of average tuition fees for international students studying in the US for 2008/09. Contact your institution of choice for more details.
Two-year community college   USD 2,402 a year
Out-of-state (international) students at four-year state colleges and universities   USD 17,452 a year
Private four-year colleges and universities   USD 25,143 a year
Source: College Board, Trends in College Pricing 2008


Almost all US universities and colleges offer on-campus housing to students and are called residence halls or dormitories (dorms). These are usually equipped with basic furniture and can be shared or private rooms.
Some universities have apartment houses on campus. Priority is usually given to graduate students or those who are married or with families.
Off campus, you can choose to live in private rented accommodation which can be furnished or unfurnished. Most universities have a housing registry and local classified ads are also a good source of finding private accommodation. Homestay (living with a local family) is another popular option for international students, especially when they are first adapting to the American style of life.
Although averages do not necessarily reflect what all students pay, room and board annually ranges between USD 7,000 and 9,000 a year.

Financial assistance

Most institutions offer scholarships and grants to international students, although these are highly competitive. These are usually needs-based or are awarded for outstanding performance in a field of study, sport, performing art or other category. Check with your institution regarding the funding they have available for international students.
Research other funding opportunities with the Indian Government, corporations or other institutions.

Part-time work in US

Students who enter the US on an F-1 visa are permitted to work on campus for 20 hours a week and full time during holidays. Typical on-campus jobs include working in the university library, help desk or canteen.
After one year of study, you can apply to the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) for a special work permit to allow you to work off campus. Your international office on campus should be able to provide you with more information on the application procedure. If you are approved, you will still be limited to working 20 hours a week and full time during holidays.

Traveling to the US

Students need to keep baggage rules to the USA in mind while planning their travel.
A student traveling from India to the USA is normally entitled to carry two pieces of baggage, each weighing not more than 23 kgs each. Apart from this, cabin luggage and a laptop are allowed, but rules vary from one airline to another. Some airlines also offer extra baggage capacity for students going abroad on an F-I visa. Students are advised to contact the airline directly to avoid excess baggage problems at the airport.

Visa Processing:


Students should schedule their visa interviews as soon as they are accepted to a university. While visas may not be printed without the I-20 form, students can complete their interviews with an acceptance letter.

Intent to return:

Before a non-immigrant visa may be issued, an applicant must establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer that he/she is not an intending immigrant. Applicants can do this by showing evidence of their own family, economic, property and/or other social ties to a country outside the U.S.

In addition to establishing that he/she is not an intending immigrant, each student must also demonstrate that she/he is a bona fide student and has access to financial resources.

Bona Fide Student:

In order to demonstrate that he/she is a bona fide student, applicants are encouraged to be prepared to tell the consular officer about the college search and application process, reasons for choosing a school, reasons for studying in the United States, commitment to completing the degree being pursued, etc. To this end, students are encouraged to bring school transcripts, copies of applications, TOEFL and SAT scores, etc.

Financial Assets:

In order to qualify for a student visa, the applicant must show that he/she has funds available to pay for the first year of study and a continuing source of funds for the remaining years of study. Applicants should present full and complete financial documentation to show that they have sufficient funds to cover the cost of their educational fees and living expenses while in the U.S. Current bank statements for all accounts should be presented.

Student visa applications will be refused if you are unable to show proof of ability to pay for all educational expenses at the time of your visa interview.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:34:39 AM by Naeema_INT »