Study in Finland

Author Topic: Study in Finland  (Read 1091 times)

Offline International Desk, DIU

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 162
    • View Profile
Study in Finland
« on: June 10, 2012, 02:08:13 PM »
Finland is situated in northern Europe and neighbours Sweden, Norway and Russia. It is a member of the European Union where it represents both Nordic democracy and way of living. Equality in wealth is a key-driver in our society.

For an international student Finland is both an exotic and a safe target country. Finnish society is credible: a networked and transparent open civic society, where education is always a top first priority.

The country is filled with contrasts. We have four distinct seasons including the midnight sun in the summer and a period of near darkness in the Winter. We have large rural areas and the highest technology within reach; East and West – you name it.

Finland is a global leader in information technology and also enjoys gender equality and low levels of corruption. We have one of the most advanced education systems in the world, and as a result of our innovative mindset and investing in education we are blessed with high standard of living and quality of life.

Our emphasis on nature makes Finland stand out from other European countries. We breathe clean air, and drink clean ground water directly from the tap. Nature is an integral part of the Finnish way of life for a very simple reason: it is everywhere.

Study programmes database:

Some of the programmes are short courses which can usually be taken only as part of an exchange programme (Non-degree Programmes) - other, broader-based programmes take several years to complete and lead to an official Finnish higher education degree (Degree Programmes). The credits shown are ECTS credits.

NB: Polytechnic = University of Applied Science (UAS). For an explanation on the difference between 'university' and 'polytechnic (UAS)

Follow the link:

How to Apply[/b][/u]

This section will provide you with some general guidelines for applying to the Finnish higher education system, including issues such as:

    * general eligibility criteria and the admissions system
    * how, when and where to submit your study application
    * the required documents and certificates
    * language requirements
    * entrance examination

Finnish higher education institutions offer a wide variety of interesting degree level programmes available completely in English. You can browse through the available options in the ‘study programmes database’ section of this website.

If you already know the institution and programme you wish to apply to, you can of course go directly to the website of the institution for further information. You can find the addresses in the ‘institutions’ section of this site.

    * after getting acquainted with the basics presented on these pages, please study carefully the detailed application instructions on the admission sites.
    * you can always contact the admission offices of the institutions for advice.

Note that some of your questions may also be answered in the FAQ (frequently asked questions) section.

Tution and Scholarship

In this section, you can find information on tuition fees and scholarships in Finland.

Please note that information on how to apply to Finnish universities and polytechnics/UAS's is provided in the 'How to apply' section, so you might wish to read that first!

Plan your student financing carefully

One important aspect of study or research in Finland is considering how to finance your study or research period. You will need to be able to cover your everyday living expences, travel, insurance, etc. Bachelor's and Doctoral level programmes -as well as many Master's level programmes- do not charge any tuition fees, regardless of your nationality. However, some Master’s programmes may

charge tuition fees from non-EU/EEA students.

Remember that even when tuition is provided free of charge, you will need to independently cover the costs of your everyday life in Finland, including travel costs. Please read carefully the sections concerning student residence permits and the cost of living.

Scholarship options

Scholarships in Finland are mainly available for Doctoral level studies and research only, however, there are some exceptions. For example, if you are a non-EU citizen and have been accepted into a Master’s degree programme in which you are charged a tuition fee, you can apply for certain institutional scholarships.

Scholarships that you can apply from Finland include:

    * CIMO scholarship programmes for Doctoral level studies and research at Finnish universities.
    * Institutional scholarships offered by the higher education institutions themselves, especially for those enrolled in Master’s programmes that carry a tuition fee for non-EU/EEA nationals.

Please refer to the scholarship descriptions in this section to find out more about the different scholarship programmes, how to apply, eligibility requirements, etc.
Scholarships for Bachelor’s and Master’s level studies?

No tuition fees are charged in Bachelor’s level degree programmes in Finland. The same is true of several Master’s programmes. The cost of this education is covered by the Finnish government, therefore, there are usually no scholarships available.

However, in those Master's level programmes that charge a tuition fee from non-EU/EEA students, institutional scholarships for non-EU/EEA students are available. These institutional scholarships are always applied for directly from the university in question.

In the Erasmus Mundus Master's programmes, scholarships are also available. They are always applied via the university consortium offering the Erasmus Mundus programme in question. Please see further info in the section concerning Erasmus Mundus scholarships.

You may be eligible to apply for some '"study abroad" scholarships in your home country, and from international organisations and foundations. For information on these, please turn to the educational advisers and authorities in your home country.
Scholarships for post-Doctoral studies and research?

CIMO has no scholarships or other funding opportunities for post-Doc level students and researchers. You can refer to the section "other sources of funding" for some links that might help you forward in this regard.

Visa Processing

# First, check the current validity of your passport.

All travelers will need a passport valid for at least 90 days following your departure date from Finland. However, we strongly recommend traveling with 6 months validity on your passport at all times. VisaHQ can assist U.S. citizens with a full range of expedited passport services, including new passport application and passport renewal.

# Second, make sure your passport has blank Visa pages.

Most destinations, including Finland, require that you have adequate un-used pages in your passport, allowing for any necessary stamps upon arrival and departure. We recommend that you have at least two free pages in Visas section of your passport before any international travel. U.S. citizens can get extra passport pages added to their passports as fast as within 24 hours.

# Finally, confirm if transit visa is required for any connections.

Check with your airline in case you have connecting flights overseas as part of your journey to Finland. It may be the case that countries you pass through en route to your destination may require a separate transit visa. Please refer to visa requirements of the specific country.


In this section, you can find some general advice and links related to working in Finland, either during or after your studies. We recommend that you browse through both the ‘working during studies’ and ‘working after studies’ sections since the same job hunting tips are valid for both. Part-time work during your studies can be valuable work experience and is one of the things employers tend to look for in graduates entering the labour market.

More detailed information on working in Finland can be found on the websites listed on the right-hand margin of this page.

You should also get acquainted with related practical issues such as taxation and employment contracts. Please check with employment agencies or the nearest Finnish tax office for assistance in these matters.