It's all very well having your say, but do you really know how to form an argument and debate an issue? In just 6 easy steps we'll show you how.So what is a debate?
A debate involves a discussion of the pros and cons of an issue. Debating successfully is all about using argument and persuasion to convince other people that your views are right.
6 steps to debating perfection:
1. Research: Research the subject, so that you have facts to back up your views. It helps to validate your answer so it becomes more than just your opinion.
2. Logic: Use logic to develop your case and make your points. Lead each point on from what you were previously saying. That way you build up a story and expand your answer.
3. Counter arguments: It's always good to be prepared so consider the counter arguments in advance. That way the other side can't catch you out and you're always prepared.
4. Keep an open mind: Be open minded and prepared to change your opinion if you the other side convinces you your argument is flawed.
In the heat of a debate it's easy to lose your cool
5. Don't get personal: In the heat of a debate it's easy to lose your cool and attack the other person for having a different opinion to you. But remember they're entitled to that opinion and just because they don't think the same as you it's not a bad thing.
6. Stay Focused: Stick to the subject being debated and don't stray into other areas. It sounds obvious but it's easy to do once you start debating.